- Obtain the required petition form. Legibly and completely fill out the petition form.
- If possible, meet with an advisor, faculty member or Dean to further discuss the nature of the petition.
- Supply any documentation that would support the petition request.
- Take your completed petition, along with all documentation, to the location listed on Step 4 of the petition form.
- During the review process, a timely response is expected to any request by the University General Petitions Committee to supply additional information.
- If your petition is denied, you may contact the University General Petitions office to schedule an appointment if you feel you deserve redress to the decision of the Committee. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Read the student's petition completely, in a timely manner. If necessary, meet with the student to further discuss the nature of the petition.
- Confirm that all required documentation is attached.
- Give a recommendation for approval, for denial, or for consideration. Any comments added will be taken into consideration by the Committee.
- Attach additional documentation which may be available regarding the student's request.
- Sign and date the petition.
- Forward petition to the Office of Registration, Residency & Transcripts, Administration Building, Room 210.
- Receive the General Petitions
- Contact the student if additional information is needed.
- Forward the General Petition with any additional documentation to the General Petitions Committee or if Medical withdrawal, to Campus Health.
- Circulate the petitions to the Committee members so they can record their vote and indicate a reason which supports their vote.
- Notify the student by email of the Committee's decision.
- Receive and process the reviewed petitions after a final decision has been made.
- Review the medical documentation submitted by the student.
- Confirm if there is adequate and appropriate medical documentation to support the student's personal statement and petition.
- May make a recommendation to the GPC regarding approval of the petition.
A committee comprised of University teaching faculty who review and render decisions on General Petitions. Names of members of the Committee are kept confidential and members do not meet or communicate with students during the petition process.
- Completely read a student's petition, including any supporting documentation in a timely fashion.
- Give recommendation (for approval or denial) taking into consideration supporting documentation and recommendation of the Dean.
Responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
- Fulfill responsibilities of a committee member.
- Meet with students when necessary.
- Try to prevent recurrence of errors made when a petition is approved based on University error.