Directory Information / What does UA give out?
The University of Arizona designates the following items as directory information:
- Student’s name*
- Local/Residence Hall address*
- Home and/or Cell telephone numbers*
- Official university email address*
- Class standing/Classification
- Academic program (degree, major, minor)
- Dates of attendance
- Status (full or part-time registration)
- Degree(s) received
- Honors and awards received
- Participation in officially recognized activities
- Weight and height of members of athletic teams
The University of Arizona designates the following items as limited directory information:
- Student employment information (title, pay rate, dates of employment) - Released by Human Resources to verify employment for students as wells as employees (active and former) to potential employers, landlords, and companies that offer credit instruments (stores, banks, mortgage lenders).
- Date of birth* - Date of birth is only released to official agencies as required for matching student records.
- Student photo - Will only be utilized and/or released to University faculty and staff for attendance, testing, academic advising and identification in health and safety situations
Because directory information is considered public, the University may release such information to anyone without student consent provided that the student has not requested a directory restriction.
*The noted (*) items above can be specifically restricted by the student through UAccess. It is the University employee’s responsibility to make sure there are no directory restrictions prior to releasing any student data.
Restricting Release of Information
The University may disclose to third-parties any student information that it has designated as directory information, provided that the student has not restricted such information from disclosure. Students must request a restriction through UAccess, which will remain in effect until the student requests a change. (For more information, see the tutorial.) Students who wish to restrict their names should realize that their names will not appear in the commencement bulletin and other university publications. Also, third parties will be denied any of the student's directory information and will be informed that we have no information available about the student's attendance at UA. Students who wish to have specific directory information released may do so by providing a written authorization to the Registrar's Office.
Requesting Directory Information
There are two avenues to request directory information. Submission of a request does not guarantee approval.
|Date Use Internal or External /Requestor Internal or External||Where to Request||Description & Direction of Request|
|External Requestor||Public Records||If a request is made outside of the University from a third party source, the requestor must make the request through the Public Records.|
|Internal Requestor||Office of the Registrar||If a request is made on behalf of a department or a recognized University of Arizona Student Organization, the request can be made by submitting the following form: Request for Directory Information.|
|Solomon Amendment Request for Information||Office of the Registrar||Click the link to obtain a Solomon Amendment Request.|