Tuition Assistance for Active Duty Service Members

Tuition Assistance (TA) is an education benefit program of the Department of Defense (DOD). The program is not administered or monitored by the Veterans Administration (VA). The Department of Defense (DoD) will provide up to $250 per semester credit hour and $4500 per year. This MilRate only applies to students using Tuition Assistance.

TA Vouchers need to be submitted no later than 7 days before the start of the class. TA vouchers submitted with less than 7 days before the start date will not be accepted.

Each branch of service has guidelines and procedures for applying for and using Tuition Assistance. The Education Service Officer at your military installation should be your main contact for applications and processing questions, as benefits can differ between branches and within units in the same branch. 

Step 1: Apply to the University of Arizona 

Step 2:  Contact the Education Service Officer (ESO) for your military branch and begin the TA application process before registering for classes.

You will need to have your University of Arizona Student ID.

Identify University of Arizona (The) as your institution. 

SECURITY REMINDER: Submit your request to the links below from a computer with a CAC reader

Step 3: Before registering 

Review Undergraduate Student Benefit

Undergraduate students approved to use tuition assistance at the University of Arizona will pay $250 per unit in tuition. Once the Military-Connected Benefits and Certifications office receives an approved TA Voucher, the tuition will be adjusted to $250 per unit. Please note that TA covers the cost of tuition only; all applicable mandatory fees are charged at the standard rates and paid by the student.

Review Graduate Student Benefit

Graduate students approved to use tuition assistance at the University of Arizona will be charged standard tuition rates, and the approved TA amount will then be applied to the tuition charges on the student’s bursar account. If eligible for VA Education Benefits (Post-9/11 or Montgomery GI Bill®), the student can utilize their benefit to assist with covering the out-of-pocket cost.

Make a copy of your Degree Planning Document

  1. Log into UAccess Student Center.
  2. Select Advising on the main navigation.
  3. From the dropdown, select Advisement Report.
  4. Choose to "view report as PDF".
  5. Save the file and submit it to your Tuition Assistance program.

Step 4: Register for classes and obtain a tuition receipt

Note:  First semester, main campus undergraduate students you register for classes during the orientation session. Main campus graduate students are eligible to enroll in classes in coordination with their program department. Online and distance campus undergraduate and graduate students will register during their orientation meeting. After the first semester, military-connected students have a priority enrollment appointment during the first week that class registration opens. 

Step 5: Processing of payment 


Submit your approved voucher to MCBC office

Email your approved voucher to MCBC: 

Military branches DO NOT automatically send your voucher! You must send the voucher to MCBC directly. 

The MCBC office will certify the voucher, and coordinate with the Bursar's Office to request payment from DoD. 

Step 6: University of Arizona will report your grades or graduation to DoD.

In accordance with your branch's requirements, we will send official report of your grades or graduation to the DoD at the end of your term. 


Return of Tuition Assistance Funds

The Department of Defense requires a return of tuition assistance funds when a class is dropped after completing less than 60% of it. Returns are prorated based on the percentage of completed class time.

Standard Major Term Percent Returned to DOD that will then be Owed to UA by the Student
Weeks 1-2 100%
Weeks 3-4 30%
Weeks 5-6 20%
Weeks 7-8 10%
Weeks 9-10 1%
Weeks 11-16 0%

Tuition Assistance FAQs

Active-duty students should work with their education center counselor to determine which options are available for their specific circumstance. In general, an active-duty student who is a recipient of the Montgomery GI Bill® or Post-9/11 GI Bill® program may qualify for both the GI Bill® and tuition assistance. Education counselors are available at each virtual education center by branch:

How do I apply for Department of Defense Tuition Assistance (TA)? 

The Army, Marine Corps, Navy, and Air Force each have their own TA application forms and procedures and students should apply for TA through their specific branch education center.

Virtual Education Centers by Branch: 

A student using TA must be pre-approved prior to enrolling in a course. Once TA has been approved by the student’s military branch, the student should enroll in the course. This must be done prior to the first day of class or TA will not be approved by the Department of Defense. 

Department of Defense Tuition Assistance (TA) is a tuition reimbursement program for active-duty, National Guard, and Reserve services members.

Send the approved Tuition Assistance (TA) voucher to for processing.

The Department of Defense requires UA to approve enrollment if the class meets a student’s degree requirement. Once enrollment is approved, the UA Bursar’s Office invoices TA to the student’s military branch.

  1. Log into UAccess Student Center.
  2. Select Advising on the main navigation.
  3. From the dropdown, select Advisement Report.
  4. Choose to "view report as PDF".
  5. Save the file and submit it to your Tuition Assistance program.

Resource Guide: Bursar Account Summary

  • Click on the e-Bill Statements box showing itemized charges for the class where you will apply Tuition Assistance.
  • Make sure the invoice you selected includes an itemized description of your charges.

Military-Connected Benefits & Certifications  
Student Union Memorial Center, Rm 404 | 1303 E. University Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85721
Phone: 520-621-9501  |  Fax: 520-621-3665