Spring 2020 Appeal to Change Grading Basis after Deadline

Updated 6/30/2020

This process deadline has passed.

In an effort to accommodate all students who have dealt with the COVID-19 crisis in the Spring 2020 semester, the University of Arizona is allowing students to submit a request for a grading option change without documenting their specific extenuating circumstance.

Already Submitted P/F Petition

This new request form need not be completed if a student has previously requested to change the grading via the P/F petition form. Please allow several days for processing.

Viewing your Grade

Students are able to view their grading basis and updated grade on UAccess Student. Each student is responsible for checking his or her grade request prior to the request deadline to ensure accuracy. Please contact reghelp@arizona.edu with any questions. 

Guidance on this Request

If students need guidance about changing from P/F grades to letter grades or letter grades to P/F grades, they should consult with their academic advisor. Additional information about this request is also available online the Spring 2020 Revised Policies FAQ page.


The deadline for this appeal is 5pm Arizona time June 30, 2020. No requests will be accepted after this deadline. The general petition process will apply to any concerns about Spring 2020 courses after this deadline has passed.


  • If grades have already been posted, and the change is to Pass/Fail the Office of the Registrar will convert the grade; if the change is to regular Grading, the instructor will be contacted from the Office of the Registrar to update the new grade.
  • The grading basis cannot be updated for students who have had their degree awarded for Spring 2020.  Please notify your Graduation Services Advisor or Degree Counselor to postpone awarding your degree until after your request has been processed. 
  • A select number of courses are governed by college and program-specific grading and progression policies that are based on disciplinary and professional norms and accreditation/regulatory requirements.  Thus, a “D” cannot be changed to a “P” for these select classes. See here for a listing of those courses (coming soon)
  • Students who have a grade of E due to an Academic Integrity Violation will not be able to request a change from regular grading to pass/fail grading.
  • More information on the Grading Basis and revised policy is available online.
  • It can take up to five business days to process the petition. Please check back with the Office of the Registrar after at least five days have lapsed from the time of submission.