Grade Replacement Opportunity (GRO)
Grade Replacement Opportunity (GRO) offers students the ability to replace grades of C, D, and E by repeating the course. Only the grade from the repeat attempt will be used to calculate the grade point average. For details, see the undergraduate GRO policy in the catalog. A separate policy exists for Law students; see the Law College dean's office for details.
Graduate, Medicine, and Pharmacy students are not eligible for GRO
Course Repeat Policies
- Courses may be repeated only once, regardless of the grade earned.
- Grades of “A” or “B” may not be repeated.
For more details, please see the official Academic Catalog policy.
In accordance with catalog policy, you cannot register online for courses which will result in an invalid repeat. In order to enroll in a course you will be repeating for the third time (fourth attempt), or in a course you have been advised to retake in which you originally earned a grade of “A” or “B,” the procedure is as follows:
- If you have questions about whether a repeated course will apply toward your degree or how the GPA units will be counted, see your academic advisor.
- See the offering department for approval to take the class.
- If the offering department approves, they will notify the Registrar’s Office.
- The Registrar’s Office will code your record to allow enrollment in the upcoming course and we will notify you by your official UA email that you are eligible to enroll.
- You may enroll in the class online or the department can enroll you.
(Please keep in mind that you will not earn credit for the repeated class although, it will count in your cumulative GPA.)
GRO requests may now be submitted through UAccess Student during filing periods. A GRO tab has been added to UAccess Student Center for undergraduate students only. Students who wish to file a GRO will access this tab to submit a GRO request during the GRO filing period for each eligible course. The process is the same for both Regular Dated Classes and Dynamically Dated Classes. Please see GRO Filing Deadlines.
- Register for the repeated course.
- Access the GRO tab in UAccess Student.
- Read and accept the GRO Policy terms.
- Complete the GRO request.
To learn how to file a Grade Replacement Opportunity, please view the following resource guide: Grade Replacement Opportunity
- You have already earned more than 59 units at the University of Arizona.
- The original course is still graded as Incomplete ("I").
- The repeat course is not equivalent to the original course (e.g. titles and/or subtitles must match).
- You have already completed the maximum of three courses under the GRO option.
- You have already received a bachelor's degree from the University of Arizona, thus, are ineligible for the GRO option.
- The course was already repeated under GRO in a previous semester.
- You are attempting to GRO a class with a W grade, or a WC grade.
Separate policies exist for Law students. The dean of Law College can provide examples of why GRO request will not be processed.
As a result of GRO, a student's cumulative GPA is typically recalculated at the end of each terms' grade processing - this is when final grades are available.
See the Dates & Deadlines page for more information on when final grades are available for each term.