Academic Eligibility (Updated 04/05/21)

No, we do not require additional documentation and it will not be accepted. Please make sure to answer the questions in your appeal fully with detail to aid the decision making process.

Sure! You can submit an appeal prior to the end of the semester, review of Fall 2021 appeals will begin the week of January 3, 2022. 

If your grades bring you to Eligible status your appeal will not be reviewed –your status will return to Eligible!

Yes. You will be reevaluated based on your progress and circumstances in your additional probation semester.

This appeal is for an additional semester of enrollment at the university however you may be required to move to a new college/major. You will be contacted by an academic advisor for next steps.

If your appeal is approved, you will be granted an additional semester of Academic Probation. Decisions will be emailed to your CatMail.

You will not be able to enroll in University of Arizona courses and any future enrolled courses may be administratively dropped. You are encouraged to connect with your Academic Advisor to discuss your future plans.

You should be prepared to provide a narrative explanation within the appeal.  The narrative will outline the reason(s) for your appeal, the resources or services used so far, and the plan for success if the appeal is approved. Keeping in mind that becoming Ineligible is the result of 3 consecutive semesters under a 2.0 cumulative GPA, you should provide insight into the circumstances or challenges you have faced over those semesters, and then also describe how they may have changed (worsened or improved) during the last semester. 

Appeals will be reviewed beginning the week of January 3rd – if your appeal is submitted by the January 7 deadline you will have an answer the week of January 10th.

The priority deadline for Fall 2021 appeals is January 7, 2022. Future enrolled courses will be dropped on January 8, so it is important to get your appeal submitted by January 7.

Please make sure to review the appeal form and informational video prior to beginning your appeal. The appeal form for Fall 2021 is available here

Campus Changes

In most cases, yes.  However, some programs at the university are designed for a particular location or modality such as Arizona Online, or the Near You Network.  Please connect with your Academic Advisor or Degree Counselor for more information.

After you meet with your advisor or Degree Counselor, they will complete a Campus Change Request form on your behalf.  You will receive an email to your university account when the form is reviewed by the Office of the Registrar to initiate the process.

Approximately 10 business days.  A request may take longer if a student needs to provide residency documentation, or if the record needs to be reviewed by UA Global.  Additionally, campus changes cannot be initiated if there are holds (such as Bursar) on the account.

Yes.  You should send an email to our Military-Connected Benefits Team to notify them of your intent to change campuses.  Adjustments may need to be made to your record.

Of course!  Please connect with us via or by using the chat feature on our website.

Students who are moving from Arizona Online to a physical campus (such as Tucson or Phoenix) may need to complete the Residency Classification Process.  You will receive an email from the Residency Classification team if this step is required.  Timely response to this email is necessary to process a campus change.

Your record will be reviewed by the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid as part of the campus change process.  OSFA has a page created specifically to answer questions about campus change & scholarships.

Please note that some merit tuition scholarships and institutional aid may be limited to only the main campus location in Tucson.  OSFA is happy to answer questions about specific awards and scenarios.

You will receive a notification when your campus change is initiated, and when it is complete.  If you have any questions about the status of your request, please connect with us via  

In some cases, yes.  OSFA will review your information to determine what adjustments to make.  Please connect with OSFA with specific questions.

Classroom Services

Student organizations (clubs) should schedule their own events following the approved process and guidelines. Departments should not reserve centrally scheduled rooms for student organizations.

There is no set limit to the number of rooms you may reserve in a week, although it is contingent upon the number of rooms scheduled for classes and other events. However, only one large room (51+ seats) or two small rooms (50 or fewer seats) per week may be reserved free of charge. If you choose to reserve more rooms during a one-week period, the first large room or the first two small rooms will be free of charge and the rest of the rooms will incur a rental fee.

ASUA has a listing of approved clubs and their Presidents on their website. If you don't see your club on that list, or if you have other questions that cannot be answered by that list, you can call ASUA at 520-621-2782.

Depending on how many requests we have received from academic departments and other clubs, the answer can be anything from a few hours to a few days. This is one reason why we require the request to be submitted at least two weeks in advance- at busy times, it can sometimes take a week or more to process your request.

You can let us know in the "Additional Information" box at the bottom of the request that you will need a high tech room. Once you receive confirmation of your reservation, you are responsible for contacting Classroom Technology Services (CTS) at 520-621-3852. They will take care of unlocking the equipment in the room to make it available for your use. CTS may charge for the use of equipment; these fees are not included in any invoice sent by Room and Course Scheduling, and should be paid to CTS.

There are a few possible answers for this question. One reason this might happen is because the room already has a course or an event scheduled for that time. Another possibility is that you asked for a room that was too large or too small for the size of your event. We always look for available rooms that are the right size to hold the number of people you are planning for.

Course Catalog

Academic departments submit Course Add, Modify, and Inactivate request forms in UAccess Student. Curricular Affairs reviews the form to be sure the structural pieces are filled out; mistakes, conflicting information, and missing information on the form may lead to delays or denial of forms. Curricular Affairs routes each form to department and college level approvers, and other specialist approvers depending on the course type. Department and college approval is required of both the offering department and any crosslisted or prerequisite departments. Once all necessary approvals have been granted including final approval by Curricular Affairs, the Office of the Registrar receives the form and makes the appropriate adjustments to the Course Catalog record. The effective date of new and updated courses depends on the date that final approval was granted; more information on Dates and Deadlines is provided on the Curricular Affairs website's Course Approvals page.

Once a Course Form is submitted, the person who submitted the Form can always sign back into the UAccess Administrative Login page and go to the corresponding type of Form that was submitted. 

Under the UAccess Navigator Bar > Curriculum Management > UA Curriculum Management > Course Management > UA Course Add, UA Course Modify, and UA Course Inactivate.

Select the appropriate request type and search using either the transaction number or the Subject and Catalog number fields. Course routing information, including a full Comment history, is found at the bottom of each request form. 

The Academic Organization (four-digit number) under the Offering tab in the Course Catalog will always give you the name of the department that owns the course.

You can navigate through the offering numbers to see which courses have Cross-Listing’s. Course offering number one is usually the home department.

  1. What is the Course ID and how is it used?
    • ​​​​​​​Each active Course is assigned a specific Course ID. It is used to trace the history or historical changes made to a course.
  2. What does the Effective Date of the Course Catalog mean?
    • ​​​​​​​The date in which a record of a course is/was valid. Always use the most recent Effective Date when scheduling. Moving forward, anything processed after the effective date must follow that record. 
  3. What does the Status of a course in the Course Catalog mean?
    • Inactive means course cannot be scheduled at the section level. Any active section/ record in the Course Catalog RCS can use in the Schedule of Classes.  
  4. What are the Description, Long Description, Long Course Title, and how do they differ?
    • ​​​​​​​The Description of the course is a succinct label of the course to identify it and is usually a short version of the long course title at 30 characters(spaces are included in the character count).  The Long Course Description is a focused statement which informs a student about the subject matter, approach, and breadth of the course material being covered in a course.

Attributes are informational tags added to courses and sections, and in some cases may be used by students to filter classes in the Class Search. They indicate special types of courses (General Education, Writing Emphasis, Honors), as well as grading options and whether the course is crosslisted or mutually exclusive to another course.

  • Experimental Course:  Temporary course that lasts a year designation.  The course will have a preset inactivation record.  
  • Per Unit Fee: Delivered function of UAccess, not in use at UA. 
  • Flat Fee: Determined by Curricular Affairs through the Course Fee approval process.  Fees are charged to students taking an in-person or hybrid course. 
  • iCourse Fee: Not in use since 2015. 
  • Other Fees: Notify students that fees are pending in the Course Fee Approval process. 
  • Purpose of Fee: Course rationale for charging a fee to students on top of tuition costs, i.e. lab supplies, equipment refresh, trips, etc...  
  • Change of Course ID for GRO: Delivered function of UAccess, not in use at UA. 
  • Co-Convened: Undergraduate course combined with a Graduate Course. The last two corresponding catalog numbers must match in order to be Co- Convened. Listed in the Course Catalog also. 
  • Engineering Science Units: Delivered function of UAccess, not in use at UA. 
  • Course Requisites: Students must meet the Course Prerequisites in their preparation to take the course.   
  • Field Trips: Are there any specific field trips involved with a course that requires students to meet for class outside of its normal meeting pattern.
  • Course Component: The type of structure a course has.
  • Instructor Contact Hours: Instructors must meet with students a minimum of 15 contact hours per unit.
  • Default Section Size: 1. Departments can input correct enrollment number and section size. 
  • Workload Hours: Instructors can split the workload hours to all add up to the corresponding unit workload.
  • OEE Workload Hours: Not in use since 2013.
  • Final Exam: Yes/No option. Each course is given a designated final exam time at the beginning of the semester located on This final exam time is dependent upon the meeting pattern of the course during the semester.
  • Provider for Authentication: Delivered function of UAccess, not in use at UA.
  • LMS Extract File Type: Delivered function of UAccess, not in use at UA.
  • Auto Create: Selected to have components prepopulate on the Adjust Class Association in the Schedule of Classes.
  • Graded Component: The component of the course that is graded or where the student receives credit on their transcript. 
  • Primary Component: the component of the course receiving/generating the most workload hours.  
  • Optional Component: a component that is listed on the Course Catalog but has the optional box checked. At this point, the department can dictate whether or not to offer the optional component for a semester.
  • Generate Class Mtg Attendance: Delivered function of UAccess, not in use at UA.
  • Include in Dynamic Date Calc: Delivered function of UAccess, not in use at UA.

What is the difference between a single component and multiple component class?
The components used at the UofA are colloquium, discussion, independent study, laboratory, lecture, seminar, studio, workshop.  A single component course uses only one of the components listed prior.  A multiple component courses use 2 or more of the components, i.e. Lecture/Laboratory. 

When should I use multiple components?
Multiple components are used when an instructor would like to use different instructional methods to present course content. I.E. General Chem uses a lecture component to present general knowledge and concepts and then a laboratory component to allow the supervised practical hands-on experimentation putting into practice the information being presented in the lecture materials.

What is Course Attendance?
Delivered function of UAccess, not in use at UA.

What is Room Characteristic Required?
Delivered function of UAccess, not in use at UA.

In order to be added to the Course Catalog, new courses must include a syllabus for review in the Course Management process. The final syllabus review is handled by Curricular Affairs.

  • The policy on Undergraduate Course Syllabi can be found in the General Catalog. This page also includes a template for instructors to start with when creating syllabi for new courses. 
  • The policy on Graduate Course Syllabi can be found in the General Catalog.
  • There is no campus wide policy for the Law, Pharmacy, or Medical careers. Departments should follow guidance from their college when creating syllabi for new courses in these careers.
  • Instructor Edit: "No Choice"
  • Add Consent: "No Consent"
  • Drop Consent: "No Consent"
  • Requirement Designation: Only used for Honors College courses with the HNRS prefix.
  • Equivalent Course Group: Logic attached for courses where 70% of the content overlaps. Students will receive a message during registration that credit will only be given for one course in the logic, the system will not stop them from registering.

Only for special topic courses (Seminar, Colloquium, Symposium, etc) where a student is achieving new learning outcomes every time they take the course. 

  • Grading Basis: The grades assigned to the course that will be used on the student's records. Please see the General Catalog - Grades and the Grading System.
  • Graded Component: The component that the grade is assigned to.
  • Grade Roster Print: Delivered function of UAccess, not in use at UA.
  • Minimum Units: The least amount of credit a student can receive for taking a course. 
  • Maximum Units: The most amount of credit a student can receive from taking a course. 
  • Academic Progress Units: Units that a student is currently enrolled in the current semester. Units that a student is currently in progress completing. For each college, a student must complete foundational courses before progressing to higher numbered courses.  
  • Financial Aid Progress Units: To receive the proper amount of financial aid, a student must be registered with at least 12 units to be considered full-time or must be enrolled in so many units per semester.  
  • Last Course of Mult Term Seq: Indicator on the last course in a multi-course sequence.  Currently only used by MEDP. 
  • Enrollment Unit Load Calc Type: Delivered function of UAccess, not in use at UA. 
  • Course Count: Delivered function of UAccess, not in use at UA. 
  • Course Contact Hours: The number of hours a student is required to complete working in the classroom in order to receive a unit of credit. One unit equals one week minimum of full in-person class work. 

The semesters in which a course is typically offered but not necessarily restricting the department to offer them in these semesters only. Serves as a reference for a student to plan their schedule ahead of time. 

  • Course Offering Nbr: the sequence of departments or subject that are Cross-Listed with one another. Typically, the first offering nbr is designated for the home department or department that owns the course. Each corresponding subject is filled accordingly as a new course offering nbr. 
  • Academic Institution: UAZ00 for the University of Arizona          
  • Academic Group: UA General for general University of Arizona course 
  • Subject Area: Area of profession or subject a course covers       
  • Campus: MAIN campus for Main Campus students, UA Online Campus for Online students, and DIST Campus for approved Distance offered sections. 
  • Academic Organization: the department that owns the course or is in charge of offering it for a semester/term. 
  • Academic Career: Undergraduate, Graduate, Medical, etc. 
  • Course Typically Offered: When a section of the course is most likely to be offered. Not restricted to these. 
  • Tuition Group: Tuition difference based off Tuition group. 
  • Dynamic Class Date Rule: Delivered function of UAccess, not in use at UA. 
  • Allow OEE Enrollment: This field is seen only historically on Correspondence courses.   
  • Course Approved box: If approved then checked 
  • Catalog Print: if the schedule print box is checked then the course appears in the general class search conducted by students. When unchecked, students will be unable to search for the class as the section is only made seen or available to department representatives. 
  • Print Instructor in Schedule: Delivered function of UAccess, not in use at UA. 
  • Schedule Print: Delivered function of UAccess, not in use at UA. 
  • Schedule Term Roll: Delivered function of UAccess, not in use at UA. 
  • Use Blind Grading: Delivered function of UAccess, not in use at UA. 
  • GL Interface Required: Delivered function of UAccess, not in use at UA. 
  • Split Ownership: Delivered function of UAccess, not in use at UA. 

The Description of the course is a succinct label of the course to identify it and is usually a shortened version of the long course title.  Character limit is 30.

  • An Add form creates a new course in the catalog, distinguished by a new Course ID. 
  • A Modify form makes changes to an existing Course ID (less than 25% change to course content). Modifications can be used to update the language in course descriptions or titles, the number of units a course is worth, prerequisites, crosslistings, and more.
  • An Inactivate form removes a course from the catalog entirely so it can no longer be offered.

General Catalog contains all information regarding the setup and structure of the Academic side of the UA, with an emphasis on course policy that is maintained by Curricular Affairs.  Room and Course Scheduling uses the policies to setup courses in the Course Catalog once courses are approved by Curricular Affairs. The Course Catalog is then used to build the official Schedule of Classes, with the approved "structure" and set-up of a section being pulled from the Course Catalog. Browse Catalog is open to the public, a more public friendly view to see what could be offered, and there are links to the Schedule of Classes for what will actually be offered, as well as when the course was previously offered.

A specific code used to automatically enforce prerequisites for a course. Restricts enrollment in a course to students with specific prerequisite coursework completed, in specific majors or student groups, or with specific placement exam scores. Requirement Groups are identified by a 6-digit number. Requirement Group cannot contradict anything in the Long Description of the Course Catalog.

The Long Course Title should give a short, general description of the subject matter covered.  The character limit is 100.

Course Add, Modify, and Inactivate request form submissions are accepted throughout the year. However, the effective date of new and updated courses depends on the date that final approval is granted; more information on Dates and Deadlines is provided on the Curricular Affairs website's Course Approvals page.

UAccess Administrative login > Navigator Bar > Curriculum Management > UA Curriculum Management > Course Management > UA Course Add, UA Course Modify, and UA Course Inactivate.

The approval route is built for each course depending on course type. Generally, course requests are routed to approvers in the following order:

  • Curricular Affairs (initial review for formatting and policy compliance)
  • Department Head (for offering department as well as any crosslisted or prerequisite departments)
  • College Associate Dean (for offering department and any crosslisted/prerequisite departments)
  • One or more specialist approvers depending on course type: Honors College, University-wide General Education Committee, Graduate College.
  • Curricular Affairs (final review and support of the mandatory 10-day campus review period for all course Add requests)

Once all necessary approvals have been granted including final approval by Curricular Affairs, the Office of the Registrar receives the form and makes the appropriate adjustments to the Course Catalog record. The effective date of new and updated courses depends on the date that final approval was granted; more information on Dates and Deadlines is provided on the Curricular Affairs website's Course Approvals page.

Approval at departmental, college, and university levels is necessary to confirm all course offerings are in compliance with UA policies, and ensure course offerings align with departmental and college goals and standards.

COVID-19 | General

All courses will provide options for students who are unable to come to campus due to illness or other temporary circumstances, as well as for graduate students who may need to remain remote for the duration of the semester. Undergraduate students planning to learn remotely online should enroll in Live Online or iCourses but can request a special exemption if needed for degree progress or completion. Exceptions are not guaranteed and may not be possible for some courses.  Students should connect with their academic advisor and review the information below on how to adjust their schedule.

A variety of course formats will be offered for the spring 2021 term.  Students will be able to create a schedule that meets their individual needs. 

You can adjust your selected classes through UAccess Student Center to meet your individual needs.  Please connect with your academic advisor to determine what options will help you continue on your path to graduation.

A few tutorials that could be helpful:

The only options for fully remote or online are Live Online or iCourse formats.  An increasing number of courses are offering a variety of course formats leaving the choice to the student as to which format best meets their needs.

Generally no, a web cam turned on during class is not a requirement. That said, consider simple etiquette practices in the digital learning environment such as muting the microphone when not speaking, evaluate your background and try to find a blank space to sit in front of as opposed to lying on a bed, for example.  If the course is Live Online (synchronous) and you live in a different time zone, you may want to contact the instructor to let them know you are in a different one, especially if the difference in time will be significantly different than when the course is offered.

Some examinations may require the use of a webcam.

Most classes will start in a Live Online modality – please review the class details to see which on-ramp your class is assigned.  Flex In Person courses normally require some level of on-campus engagement.  The level of In-person meetings will vary by course as well as environmental factors. Students should check the D2L course site for guidance from the instructor prior to attending the class in-person.

Classes that will start in-person instruction as part of the first on-ramp have been updated in UAccess as of 8/3/2020.  Click here for an overview on how to view the class details.  Classes that will start Live Online and then transition to in-person or flex-in-person coursework have been updated as of 8/10/2020.

International Students should consult with the International Student Services Office.

Consult with the schedule of classes to determine if the course is available In Person or Flex In Person.

  • Whenever possible and feasible (taking national standards and certifications into consideration) labs are available in the online course formats.  For some labs it is not always possible to maintain standards in the online format or fully meet learning objectives. 
  • Students should work with their advisors to develop alternative scheduling plans if they need to be remote for the entire term.

The Live Online format is a fully online course that is offered in a synchronous format.  In other words, the instructor and students meet at a regularly scheduled time/day using a virtual platform  Flex In-Person, on the other hand, is a hybrid model that involves some in-person (on campus) meetings as well as utilizing virtual platforms and D2L . These are two distinct course formats. A significant number of courses offer both formats leaving the choice to the student as to which format best meets their needs.

Review the course formats overview

The Bursar’s website has a frequently updated FAQ section.

  • In-Person and Flex In-Person classes will finish the in-person meetings by Thanksgiving, with the remainder of the class being held in the Live Online format.
  • The added meeting pattern is for any physical class meetings and is shown in the Meeting Information area of the Class Details on your schedule
  • Independent Study, Practicum, Dissertation, Directed Research, and similar classes do not have a physical location will not have the extra meeting line for Live Online.

Due to the evolving nature of situation, some classes may still have updates prior to the beginning of the semester. Students are encouraged to check their schedule and connect with your advisor again as the start of term draws closer to make sure your schedule continues to align with your needs and preferences.

The  ‘W’ Grade Unit Maximum (18 units) policy has been suspended for the 2020-2021 Academic Year for Undergraduate students.

All other policy adjustments during the Spring 2020 semester were a one-time exception.

  • There will be designated quiet spaces in the libraries. More information is found here.  There will also be tents and other outdoor spaces available for students between classes.
  • Starting October 1st three classrooms will be available from 8am - 5pm Monday through Friday for students to study or take Live Online classes. More information is found here.

COVID-19 | Pass/Fail Grading (Updated 5/26/2020)

No.  Courses that have already been graded will not be available to change to Pass/Fail.

Yes, a student can change the grading basis up until the deadline.

Any class that is offered as Regular Grading can, for Spring 2020 only, be taken as Optional Pass/Fail.  Classes offered as S, P, F grading will continue as S, P, F.

Yes, for the Spring 2020 term; an earned Pass grade will satisfy program requirements the same as if the course was passed as regular grading.  The applicability of the course towards requirements does not change (ie – the class would have to count for that requirement as regular graded).

No. Classes taken as Pass/Fail in the Spring 2020 term will not count toward the 12 unit maximum.

Yes.  This policy is for all classes taken as regular grading, for all students, in all academic career levels, for all program requirements.

Graduate students can opt to earn a Pass/Fail grade instead of an A, B, C grade in letter-graded graduate courses. For a student who chooses this option and earns a Pass (equivalent to A, B, or C) those units will count toward degree completion, but will not affect GPA. A course that was initially letter-graded (A, B, C) but converted to Pass for Spring 2020 will count toward required letter-graded units.

Students are able to update this grading basis through UAccess student. Please review the help guide to make a change or a video walking through the steps.

The University will add a transcript note to classes taken in Spring 2020 Pass/Fail about the extraordinary nature of this grading basis.  Many institutions, including our AAU peers, are adjusting their grading policies for this term and providing similar notes.

The Graduate College at the University of Arizona will calculate the GPA for students seeking graduate admission using only letter-graded courses. That is, P/F grades will not calculate into the GPA. However, for the Spring 2020 term, the credit units accrued for courses in which a student earned a Pass "P" will be included. This allows us to count the "P" grades toward the units required to calculate admission without affecting the GPA. We will not count "F" grades toward the required units.

Pass/Fail grades do not calculate in GPA, but an earned Pass grade still counts toward the required number of units for scholarship renewal. Eligibility for continuing students will be evaluated as normal, based on cumulative University of Arizona grade point average and cumulative units completed by the end of the academic year.

Review terms and conditions for your specific scholarship(s)

No.  Faculty will be able to enter grades directly through the instructor center as typical.  A resource guide on how to enter grades, including how to identify students who have chosen the Special Pass/Fail grading basis is available online.

View the resource guide

Due to a number of issues unique to the law school, including mandatory curving and rankings, students in the JD program will have mandatory Pass/Fail grading.  Like the rest of the Special Spring 2020 Pass/Fail grading basis, a “Pass” grade will satisfy all program requirements. JD students should contact Mike Brooks ( with any additional questions.

No. This option is at the discretion of the student. Some students may want and/or need to complete a course with a regular grade.

Please note this excludes students in the JD program in the James E. Rogers College of Law (see FAQ "Is this pass/fail grading basis different for the James E. Rogers College of Law".

No. For the Spring 2020 term only, the limit of 2 pass/fail classes has been waived.

Students must still meet the transfer honors admissions requirements. Grades of "P" or "S" (or equivalent) can be used toward unit requirements to be considered a transfer student but will not calculate into the Honors Admissions GPA requirement.

Transfer students applying to programs with additional specific requirements will need to meet all criteria outlined by the specific program in which they are applying. As stated, COVID-19 global pandemic impacted P/F coursework will transfer to meet admissions/degree requirements but will not factor into GPA requirements.  Each academic program will support students by accounting for this exceptional situation when making decisions.

Yes, all students who have previously opted for optional Pass/Fail will be awarded these same benefits for the Spring 2020 class.

The GRO attempt toward the limit will be removed, and the previous grade will remain calculated in the student’s GPA but if the Spring 2020 class is Passed the credit will be earned.

  • The deadline to file this change is the last day of classes, May 6, 2020.
  • If the class is in a session that ends prior to the regular term, the deadline is the last day of that session.
  • If the class is in a session that ends after the end of the regular term, the deadline is the last day of that class; please contact if making a change after May 6th.

Instructors will continue to have discretion on how grades are assigned as outlined in their syllabus or otherwise communicated to students. The scale should be consistent with the Pass/Fail grading policy.

For graduate courses, a C or higher is considered a Pass.

Yes, if the grade is Pass it will earn academic credit; the Fail grade will not earn the credit.

No.  Students who do not earn an A or B in one of these courses will still have the course satisfy the gen-ed English requirement but will need to contact their advisor for their major on how the department expects majors to satisfy the MCWA.

Mid-Career Writing Assessment

Yes.  Units earned as Pass in Spring 2020 will count toward the units required for Academic Distinction and Graduation with Academic Distinction eligibility, but as the units will not carry GPA value, the student will need to have otherwise met the appropriate GPA requirements.

Academic Distinction Graduation with Academic Distinction

No.  The Dean’s List is a single-term honor.  Students will otherwise need to earn the appropriate number of units and GPA to receive the honor.

Dean's List

No.  The Pass or Fail grade will not impact GPA.

The University will accept COVID-19 Pandemic impacted transferable coursework from all in-state, out-of-state, international and private institutions where grades of "P" or "S" or equivalent were awarded and can be used to meet degree requirements.

  • Students who request a change after the deadline shall follow this process.
  • If a student's degree has been awarded there will be no change in grading basis

Yes, this option is available to all students for the Spring 2020 academic term.

Yes, for the Spring 2020 term only, an earned Pass grade will satisfy the prerequisite requirement for future classes.

COVID-19 | Course Withdrawal (updated 3/26/2020)

Yes, after the extended deadline, students can still appeal for a late withdrawal through the Late Change Petition process.

No. The deadline for dropping classes without it appearing on the transcript has not changed.

No. The refund period for classes remains the same.

No.  The deadline remains the same.

Online through UAccess Student Center

There is not currently a maximum withdrawal allowance for graduate students. However, withdrawals may negatively impact their time to degree and satisfactory academic progress. Moreover, graduate students must be enrolled in minimum units to maintain funding, graduate assistantships, and visa eligibility and are encouraged to communicate with the Graduate Program Coordinator or Director of Graduate Studies before withdrawing from a course. Review the continuous enrollment policy online.

Deadlines will be updated on the Dates and Deadlines page.

No.  Any course withdrawn during the Spring 2020 term will be excluded from the 18-unit maximum for undergraduate students.

COVID-19 | Grade Replacement Opportunity (GRO)/Course Repeats (updated 5/21/2020)

No. The GRO option remains only for classes in which a C, D, or E grade is earned.

No. The GRO option remains only for classes in which a C, D, or E grade is earned.

The GRO option is for when a course from this term is repeated; you will need to complete the course this term, enroll in the course in a subsequent term, and then choose the GRO option within the deadline.

You should review the GRO policy and the advising guidance The Truth about GRO.

Graduate students are not eligible for grade replacement opportunity (GRO). However, the Graduate College will include Spring 2020 as an extra semester for graduate students seeking Academic Renewal. Normally, a graduate student can petition for Academic Renewal for up to 4 consecutive semesters. A student may also include Spring 2020 for consideration above and beyond the 4 semesters currently allowed. See the current academic renewal policy.

Yes, classes in Spring 2020 can be GROed in future terms without counting toward the GRO limit until a student has earned 59 units, even if the student has already used their 3 GRO attempts.

No. GRO is only available for Undergraduate students who have earned less than 60 units.

COVID-19 | Undergraduate Academic Eligibility (updated 5/27/2020)

No.  Students who are in academic eligible status will remain so for the Fall 2020 academic term.

No.  Academic eligibility is the policy for if an undergraduate student is able to enroll in classes at the University.  Each department and college retains the ability to determine if a student can remain in their program, although all are encouraged to work with students to be successful through this unprecedented time.

  • Students who end the Spring 2020 term with less than a 2.0 Cumulative GPA should connect with their academic advisor. 
  • Students who end the Spring 2020 term with less than a 2.0 will maintain their current academic status.
Academic Eligibility Status PRIOR Status Before Spring 2020 Spring 2020 Status
Student's previous eligible and falls below 2.0 ADW – Academic Warning Below 2.0 - ADW – Academic Warning
Already on Academic Warning and stays below 2.0 ADP – Academic Probation Below 2.0 - ADP – Academic Probation
Already on Academic Probation and stays below 2.0 AINE – Academically Ineligible Below 2.0 - AINE – Academically Ineligible
Student's CUM GPA is above 2.0 but semester GPA is below 2.0 AREV – Academic Review Below 2.0 - AREV – Academic Review


COVID-19 | Graduate Academic Eligibility (updated 3/26/2020)

Graduate students currently on academic probation will have an additional semester to raise the graduate GPA and will NOT be dismissed at the end of Spring 2020. The deadline to increase graduate GPA to 3.0 is extended to the end of Fall 2020. See current academic probation policy and satisfactory academic progress policy.

The academic eligibility status of a graduate student at the end of the Spring 2020 term will be determined by the student’s most recent status, except in the case when a student who was on probation earns a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater, in which case their status will become "eligible." Specifically, graduate students currently on academic probation will have their probation hold lifted if they bring their cumulative graduate GPA up to 3.0 at the end of Spring 2020.

COVID-19 | Graduate Time to Degree, Defenses, Oral Exams, and Thesis/Dissertation Submission (updated 4/7/2020)

Yes. For the Spring and Summer 2020 terms, the deadlines for Doctoral defenses and final submission of Master’s thesis and Doctoral dissertations have been extended. Please note that all other requirements for degree completion (e.g., coursework) must be completed as per University deadlines. 

Graduate deadlines

Yes. All Spring 2020 exams and defenses must be held remotely. You may use telephone or computer-assisted remote meetings. We also strongly encourage you to plan remote exams and defenses for Summer 2020 terms. Regardless, please follow current University policy on gatherings and spatial distancing. 

Covid-19 updates

No. For Spring and Summer 2020, you do not need to request special permission for all participants to attend remotely.

Master’s and Doctoral Students whose Spring 2020 term was affected by Covid-19-related changes may extend their time to degree by one semester without submitting a petition. Coursework for Master’s students normally expires after 6 years. This extension would allow for 6.5 years to complete coursework for those affected by Covid-19 during the Spring 2020 term. Normally, Doctoral students must complete all degree requirements (e.g., oral defense, dissertation submission) within 5 years of passing their comprehensive exams. This extension would allow for 5.5 years to complete requirements for those affected by Covid-19 during the Spring 2020 term.

Enter your program’s building for the "Building" field and list "Remote" in the "Room" field in the Announcement of Comprehensive Exam and Announcement of Final Oral Defense forms on GradPath.

COVID-19 | Incomplete Grades (updated 4/7/2020)

Yes, the Incomplete policy allows for an extension of up to one additional year with instructor and dean approval.  Students who need an extension should complete the Petition for Extension of Coursework for an Incomplete Course

No. Faculty and students should review the policy and procedure and use this option sparingly, as has always been its intent.

COVID-19 | Remote Instruction, Exams, and Synchronous Meetings (updated 3/25/2020)

Yes, with the following recommendations for instructors:

  • Schedule exams and any other synchronous activities at the original class meeting time
  • Schedule asynchronous exams and activities for a lengthier period of time so as not to conflict with other classes in the students’ schedules
  • If either of the above options are impossible, let it be known that you will offer accommodations for students who have a conflict with another class

Yes! Classes that have a meeting pattern can choose to continue to meet synchronously during this time period, being flexible for time zone and other considerations.

No. If a course that has transitioned to remote would like to not hold an asynchronous final, the faculty should follow the approved policy for Online Final exams:

"Instructors of fully-online classes are required to specify in the syllabus when—during the official final exam period—they will hold their final exam or by what date and time students are required to submit their summative assessment."

Yes, common final exams can still occur at the same day and time – if academic units would like to adjust or eliminate their common final exam, please contact

If a final exam is to be given during a synchronous meeting it is to occur following the Final Examination Schedule.


Please see your advisor as your college will need to increase the maximum number of units you may enroll in.

Contact the offering department.

Continue to check the Schedule of Classes, as a seat may open up.

To add a class that is full, you need to have the instructor's approval. In the past this has been done using a Change of Schedule (drop/add) form. Today, instructors can enter a student ID number in their Instructor Center to give you electronic permission to enroll. You complete the enrollment process in your UAccess Student Center prior to the permission expiration date. Student Permissions can replace the Change of Schedule (drop/add) form.

Consult with the offering department and/or instructor about adding the class or being placed on a waiting list. 

Consult with your academic advisor about registering for a comparable class.

You have the option of filling out the Cancel Admission to UA Form located on the UA Admissions website. If you have any further questions, you can call UA Admissions at 520-621-3237.

Do you qualify for Back2UA? If so, you do not need to apply for re-admission. If you are a domestic undergraduate student who has missed no more than two consecutive terms (fall/spring), you may return without applying for readmission. To qualify, you must be in good academic standing, having exited the UA with a GPA of 2.0 or higher.

If you believe you qualify, the first step is to contact your academic advisor. He or she will help you assess your previous coursework and develop a plan to jump right back in. After meeting, your advisor can release the advising hold that will allow you to register along with your class during priority and open registration.

Contact your advisor

Some students may still need to apply for readmission. These include:

  • Non-degree seeking students
  • Students who were on probation or were disqualified when they left

Not sure if you meet the Back2UA requirements? Give Admissions a call at 520-621-3237 or visit the Back2UA Admissions page.

This is a restricted entry class, and is usually accompanied with this statement: Contact department (dept abbreviation) for registration. Click on the department abbreviation for contact information.


FERPA indicates that an institution may release directory information to anyone, but there is no obligation to do so. Since students can restrict their directory information, you must check a student’s UAccess account for evidence of restriction prior to releasing information. When in doubt, do not release information and contact the Office of the Registrar for guidance.

Student judicial records containing information surrounding suspected violations of the Student Code of Conduct are protected by FERPA. The Dean of Student’s office will only release information contained in university judicial records under the following conditions:

  • Violations related to the possession/consumption of alcohol and/or drugs involving students under the age of 21
  • Serious health and safety concerns
  • Students have signed a FERPA release with the Dean of Students Office


Instructors are considered "school officials" and have access to basic information of students enrolled in their classes. Instructors may not access the educational records of students who are not currently enrolled in their classes without demonstrating a "legitimate educational interest" in such information.

All University of Arizona students, staff, and instructors are assigned a university managed email account to be utilized for purposes of official correspondence. Instructors may notify students of their individual grades via email, provided the email is sent from a university email account to a university email account. Notification of grades may also be made via the use of the University’s course management tool, Desire2Learn. In either case, students must provide their NetID and password to access their grades.

Students can grant parents and others access to their UAccess Student Center account. The guest account can be utilized by student-authorized individuals to view select student information, potentially including class schedules, financial aid disbursements, and final course grades. Guest access also provides the ability for guests to pay student tuition bills.

Leaving personally identifiable graded assignments (homework, quizzes, exams) unattended for students to view is a violation of FERPA. Instead, consider leaving the graded assignments with an assistant who will ask students for proper identification prior to returning the assignments.

It is a violation of FERPA to publicly post grades using the student's name, student identification number, or social security number. Instructors may assign students unique numbers or codes that can be used to post grades, but the order of the posting must not be alphabetic.

A student’s educational record is protected under FERPA. Parents will not have access to it unless the student has provided written authorization that specifically identifies which information may be released to the parent. The presence of a parent affidavit permits you to disclose student record information, but you are under no obligation to do so or to speak to parents.

Students have a right to file a complaint with the US Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the University of Arizona to comply with the requirements of FERPA.

Student Privacy Policy Office
US Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202

The University may disclose to third parties any student information that is designated as directory information, provided the student has not restricted such information from disclosure. Students must request a restriction through UAccess, which will remain in effect until the student requests a change. Students who wish to have specific directory information released may do so by providing a written authorization to the Registrar's Office.

Students who wish to restrict their names should note the following:

  • Your name will not appear in university publications, including the commencement bulletin.
  • Third parties will be denied all your information and will be informed that the University has no information available about your attendance.

When deciding how long to hang on to completed work that was not returned to/picked up by the student, please refer to the University’s retention schedule.

Students have the right to inspect the contents of their educational records regardless of their financial status with the University. However, the University is not required to release an official transcript if the student has a past due account.

The privacy rights of a student expire with that student’s death.

All subpoenas are reviewed by the Office of the General Counsel to determine the appropriate course of action. If you receive a subpoena, please contact the Office of General Counsel.

If non-directory information is needed to resolve a crisis or emergency, the University may release that information if it is determined to be "necessary to protect the health or safety of the student or other individuals." Factors considered in making this assessment include but are not limited to the severity of the threat to the health or safety of those involved, the need for the information, the time required to deal with the emergency, and the ability of the parties to whom the information is to be given to deal with the emergency.

An educational record includes any information or data that is directly related to a student and maintained by the University or by a person acting for the University. This encompasses information or data recorded in any medium, including but not limited to electronic data, handwriting, print, tapes, email, microfilm, and microfiche.


  • admissions information for students who are accepted and enrolled
  • biographical information including date and place of birth, gender, nationality, race, ethnicity, and identification photographs
  • communications in written, emailed, or recorded form that are part of the academic process or pertain to a student’s status
  • course work including papers, exams, grades, and evaluations
  • disciplinary records
  • internship program records
  • personal information shared through course assignments, class discussions, evaluations, and office hour visits
  • student financial and financial aid records
  • student identification number (SID)
  • student status details such as academic specialization and activities, class schedules, and courses taken

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, commonly referred to as FERPA or the Buckley amendment, is a federal law designed to protect the privacy of a student’s educational record. FERPA applies to all educational agencies or institutions that receive federal funding for any program administered by the Secretary of Education. FERPA also applies to private entities that contract to perform services for the University that it would otherwise undertake to perform on its own; in such cases, the private entity must observe the same FERPA protections applicable to the University. FERPA grants adult students (18 and older) the following rights:

  • The right to inspect and review their educational records
  • The right to seek the amendment of their educational records
  • The right to consent to the disclosure of their educational records
  • The right to obtain a copy of their school’s Student Records Policy
  • The right to file a complaint with the FERPA Office in Washington, DC

Students who perform institutional functions may be deemed "school officials" with "legitimate educational interest" in accessing designated educational records of other students. The requirements and responsibilities for these student workers are the same as those that exist for full-time staff, therefore student workers must complete FERPA training.

What are the privacy rights of a deceased student? The privacy rights of a student expire with that student’s death.

  • University of Arizona law enforcement records
  • Employment records when the employment is not connected to student status (e.g., a staff member who happens to be pursuing a degree at the institution, as opposed to a student employed under the work-study program)
  • Medical and mental health records used only for treatment of the student
  • Alumni records which do not relate to or contain information about the person as a student (e.g., information collected by the University pertaining to alumni accomplishments)
  • Sole possession records, which include memory aids or reference tools that are kept in sole possession of the maker of the record. The term does not refer to records that contain information provided directly by a student, nor records that are used to make decisions about a student.

Consistent with its obligations, the University notifies students annually of their rights under FERPA. Notification is sent to students via official UA email and is available online.

A student’s FERPA rights begin when the student registers for their first class.

In general, the University will not release "personally identifiable information" from a student's educational record without the student's prior written consent. However, FERPA allows disclosure without student consent under the following circumstances:

  • School employees who have a "legitimate educational interest" in the records to perform their duties
  • Other schools where a student seeks to enroll or is enrolled
  • Accrediting organizations
  • Organizations doing certain studies for or on behalf of the University
  • Appropriate parties to determine eligibility, amount, or conditions of financial aid, or to enforce the terms and conditions of aid
  • Parents of a "dependent student," as defined in the Internal Revenue Code, when the parent has provided a notarized affidavit, along with a copy of the relevant page of the parent's most recent income tax return indicating the student's dependent status. Affidavits must be updated annually, otherwise, prior written permission from the student is required
  • Certain government officials of the US Department of Education, the Comptroller General, and state and local educational authorities, in connection with an audit, authorized representatives of the US Attorney General for law enforcement purposes, or state or federally supported education programs
  • Individuals who have obtained a judicial order or subpoena
  • School officials who have a need to know concerning disciplinary action taken against a student
  • Appropriate parties who need to know in cases of health and safety emergencies when necessary to protect the student and/or others
  • An alleged victim of a crime of violence or non-forcible sexual offense has a right to learn the results of a disciplinary proceeding conducted by the institution against the alleged perpetrator of the crime
  • Information regarding any violation of university policy or state, federal or local law, governing the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance may be released to the parents or legal guardian of a student under the age of 21

FERPA allows for disclosure in the above circumstances, but disclosure is not required.


Review our GRO & Repeats page for information.

Your department may not have given you “post” access for your course(s).  Please contact your department scheduler for assistance.  If you are not sure who your department scheduler is, please connect with the Room & Course Scheduling help team at  

Courses such as directed research, dissertation or a thesis are for ongoing projects. Students are likely to enroll in multiple units across multiple terms. The grading of these types of units must follow the grading basis of the course, usually SPF.  Wherein S = Superior (superior achievement and progress on said project has been made), P = Passing (student has made appropriate progress on their project), and F = Failure (Student did not make progress on the project). In most cases, students will earn a ‘P’ indicating the project is continuing and the student is making satisfactory progress.  It is extremely important that students receive a grade for each semester of work toward their projects. 


The Graduate College also has a Faculty Advisors Toolkit with additional tips and resources. 

Per policy, instructors have 48 hours after the final has been administered. Review our Reporting Final Grades page for information.

By default, UAccess Instructor Center only shows 20 rows at a time.  You will need to make sure you are viewing all rows; use next arrow to see the other courses listed.  

Graduation Services

Yes, but you will have to change your degree date to the term in which you will complete the coursework for that course. All coursework (required or elective) must be complete on the day before the graduation date. Taking an incomplete in a course in your final semester means that you did not finish all coursework in time for your degree date.

Yes, but you will have to change your degree date to the term in which you will complete the coursework for that course. All coursework (required or elective) must be complete on the day before the graduation date.

It is recommended that you submit your transcript as soon as possible, preferably within one month of your graduation date. Your degree can not be awarded until your transcript from the other school is received.

If you plan to take a course at an Arizona Community College, you should refer to the Course Equivalency Guide which is part of a statewide collaboration called AZTransfer, to ensure that the courses will apply appropriately to your degree program. Community college courses listed in AZTransfer with direct Arizona equivalencies do not need a pre-approval to transfer to Arizona. If you are taking the course at an Arizona four-year school or an out-of-state school, please visit Transfer Credit Preapproval for more information and instructions.

Yes, commencement instructions are available online at the The University of Arizona Commencement website.

August degree candidate names will be included in the May commencement booklet. August candidates who do not apply for graduation by the deadline to have their name appear in the May booklet will not be placed in the booklet. Check with your Graduation Services Advisor for further information.

No, not if the course is required for your degree. All requirements for a May graduation must be completed by the day before the graduation date.

No, not if the course is required for your degree. All requirements for a December graduation must be completed by the day before the graduation date. There is a Winter conferral of degrees each January for students who complete their course work during Winter Session.

No. Please see the postponement of degree policy.

No. Degrees are awarded as of a fixed date. Majors or minors may not be retroactively added to them.

This situation occurs when a professor sends in a change of grade indicating there was a miscalculation resulting in the wrong grade being awarded (in a course completed before your degree was awarded). In this case, the degree GPA will be changed to reflect the corrected grade.

Information Technology has created a helpful resource for individuals leaving the university, including graduating students. Please review the information on their offboarding page to prevent loss of important data.

If service is available, transcripts can be sent electronically, via secure third-party vendors such as eScrip-Safe, Credentials Solutions, etc., to the following email:

Otherwise, send transcripts to:

Registration & Transcripts
The University of Arizona
Administration Building, Room 210
PO Box 210066
Tucson, AZ 85721-0066

Military Connected Benefits & Certifications (MCBC)

If you are using Chapter 1606, 1607 or 30, you must verify your enrollment at the end of every month to initiate payments. Log into the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment system or access this system through your eBenefits account. Questions should be directed to the VA at 1-877-823-2378.

On step 3 of the Veterans Academic Certification process, check the box to request a book and materials deferment for use at the Main UA Bookstore.

The VA generally takes 6-8 weeks to process enrollment certifications AFTER they are sent FROM our office.

When you receive the VA payment to your Bursar’s account, it will show as "Federal Veterans Payment". If you are using the Yellow Ribbon Program (not applicable for UA South students), the Yellow Ribbon Tuition Scholarship will be applied once the VA Yellow Ribbon funds are received.

The VA has only approved Yellow Ribbon for students who receive the Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill at the 100% rate.

Book deferments are not available to students with a past due balance on their Bursar's account.

Tuition Deferments are available for Chapters 30, 35, 1606, and 1607 (the deferment is not available for Chapter 33 students). Qualifying students may request a tuition deferment on step 3 of their veteran academic certification submission.

Before tuition is due or after you submit your Veteran Academic Certification request, a Positive Service Indicator (red star at top of page in UAccess Student) that says "CH 33 VETERAN" will be placed on your account to block late charges for tuition. The University of Arizona waits for the VA to make a tuition and fees payment to your Bursar’s account. You will continue to receive invoices from the Bursar until your balance is paid off.

The address we submit to the VA is your mailing address in UAccess. In order to make a change to this you must update the info in UAccess Student Center.

  • Your classes do not meet a degree requirement or they are hybrid or online remedial. Meet with your advisor ahead of time to be certain your classes will qualify. The VA won't pay for courses that are NOT required for your degree plan and won't pay for hybrid or online remedial courses.
  • Your enrollment has changed since the initial certification request was submitted. All enrollment should be final prior to submitting your certification request. Changes to enrollment may cause a considerable delay in certification processing. Notify the Veterans Services office ASAP to update your certification request.

The Veterans Services Office will start submitting enrollment certifications in the order they are received to the VA Regional Office in Muskogee, Oklahoma 30 days prior to the start of the term.

If you are using Chapter 33, financial aid (grants, loans, etc.) will pay towards any balance you currently show due. When the VA makes a payment, you will be refunded the difference (depending on your eligibility % and scholarships, it may be all of it or a partial amount). VA funds are not dispersed until after the refund period. To ensure your funds arrive as close to that date as possible: meet with your advisor, enroll as early as possible, and submit your certification request immediately thereafter.

The amount of benefits you will receive is determined by the Department of Veterans Affairs and is based on the start and end dates of your classes and the number of units for which you are enrolled. UA staff do not have access to your detailed benefit information. Questions about housing allowance or book stipend payments can be answered by the Muskogee VA Office at 1-888-442-455.

Military Tuition Assistance

Active-duty students should work with their education center counselor to determine which options are available for their specific circumstance. In general, an active-duty student who is a recipient of the Montgomery GI Bill® or Post-9/11 GI Bill® program may qualify for both the GI Bill® and tuition assistance. Education counselors are available at each virtual education center by branch:

How do I apply for Department of Defense Tuition Assistance (TA)? 

The Army, Marine Corps, Navy, and Air Force each have their own TA application forms and procedures and students should apply for TA through their specific branch education center.

Virtual Education Centers by Branch: 

A student using TA must be pre-approved prior to enrolling in a course. Once TA has been approved by the student’s military branch, the student should enroll in the course. This must be done prior to the first day of class or TA will not be approved by the Department of Defense. 

Department of Defense Tuition Assistance (TA) is a tuition reimbursement program for active-duty, National Guard, and Reserve services members.

Send the approved Tuition Assistance (TA) voucher to for processing.

The Department of Defense requires UA to approve enrollment if the class meets a student’s degree requirement. Once enrollment is approved, the UA Bursar’s Office invoices TA to the student’s military branch.

  1. Log into UAccess Student Center.
  2. Select Advising on the main navigation.
  3. From the dropdown, select Advisement Report.
  4. Choose to "view report as PDF".
  5. Save the file and submit it to your Tuition Assistance program.

Resource Guide: Bursar Account Summary

  • Click on the e-Bill Statements box showing itemized charges for the class where you will apply Tuition Assistance.
  • Make sure the invoice you selected includes an itemized description of your charges.

Personal Information

Residency Classification

No–any person requesting reclassification as a resident for tuition purposes must prove they meet the residency requirement or that they meet one of the approved exceptions.

No–there is no set amount of time after which a student attending as a non-resident will automatically be changed to a resident. A student wanting to be reclassified must initiate the process by submitting a Petition to Change Residency by the appropriate deadline.

No–assistantships may receive a non-resident tuition waiver from their department but this waiver does not reclassify the student as a resident for tuition purposes.

Once a student is classified as a resident for tuition purposes, their status will not change through the completion of one degree program, provided that the student remains continuously enrolled (meaning, enrolled each fall and spring semester). If you apply for a second degree program (i.e., graduate or professional school), your residency will be reviewed and you will have to meet the residency criteria on your own.

Being in Arizona for 1 year does not necessarily make you a resident for tuition purposes. You will need to meet all of the requirements: one year showing physical presence, intent beyond the circumstance of being a student, and evidence of one year of financial independence, unless you meet one of the exceptions.

Students who are already attending UA as a non-resident, would need to submit a Petition to Change Residency (during the petition period) for a change of residency classification for tuition.

Newly admitted students who feel they have been misclassified, would complete a Domicile Affidavit and submit to the Residency Classification Office for further review of their residency classification.

No–owning property in Arizona doesn't automatically qualify you as a resident for tuition purposes. If you are trying to establish residency in Arizona, paying taxes in Arizona is an indicator of your intent to become an Arizona resident. However, you must meet all the residency criteria to be eligible for residency for tuition purposes.

Yes. The information provided here only applies to residency for tuition and fee purposes at the University of Arizona. Different rules may apply to determine residency in your home state or for other schools. It is possible to be a person without a state residence for tuition and fee purposes.

No–ABOR policy states that the home of an unemancipated minor is that of the parent(s). However, Arizona high school graduates who have spent at least 3 of their high school years in Arizona, may qualify for a reduced tuition rate. 

Click Here for more information.

Objective evidence of financial independence means a student's ability to meet his or her own expenses. Indicators of financial independence include: 1) Place of employment and proof of earnings 2) Other sources of support 3) Proof of filing an Arizona state income tax return 4) Residence claimed on federal income tax returns of applicant and/or parents 5) Veteran status 6) Whether claimed as a dependent for income tax purposes by a parent or any other individual for two years immediately preceding the request for residency classification. A student will generally be considered financially independent if he/she:

  • is a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces - OR -
  • was not claimed as an income tax deduction by his/her parents or any other individual for the two years immediately preceding the request for residency classification, and has demonstrated objective evidence of self-support for two years. The two years used to demonstrate self-support are the two tax years immediately preceding the request for residency classification.

Students who believe they were incorrectly classified as a non-resident by a Residency Classification Office may request a review from the Residency Review Committee. Students may request a review by submitting the Residency Review Form by the appropriate deadline. 

You can view the Arizona Board of Regents policies by going to the ABOR website.

The rules and regulations regarding residency for tuition purposes are established by the Arizona Board of Regents.

Reverse Transfer

University of Arizona transfer students were provided an option to opt-in to the Reverse Transfer program upon admission.  If you opted-out during the admission process, you will have an opportunity to opt-in if you change your mind. 

To opt-in after admission, please complete the consent form and submit the form to the Office of the Registrar either by email at or in person in the Administration Building Room 210. 

  1. National Student Clearinghouse Institutions:  The Office of the Registrar submits enrollment records after each major term for participating schools to pick up the information in the National Student Clearinghouse Reverse Transfer portal.  If you are unsure whether your former institution(s) participate in the National Student Clearinghouse, please contact your former institution.
  2. Non-National Student Clearinghouse Institutions:  The Office of the Registrar will send a transcript to the two-year institution at no cost if requested directly by the institution.  To request a transcript on behalf of a student eligible for reverse transfer, please email the Office of the Registrar from your institutional email, with appropriate signature block, include Reverse Transfer in subject line and the student's full name, student ID number, and birthdate in body of the email.  We will confirm that the student has opted-in to the Reverse Transfer program at The University of Arizona. Upon confirmation, we will send an official transcript to your institution at no charge.

You can update your preference by completing the Reverse Transfer form and submitting the form to the Office of the Registrar.  You can both opt-in and opt-out on this form.  Forms can be submitted by email at or in person in the Administration Building Room 210.

If you opted-in to the Reverse Transfer program, your academic records will be shared with other previously attended two-year academic institutions for the purposes of credit evaluation. There are two ways this occurs:

  1. National Student Clearinghouse Institutions:  You do not need to do anything.  The Office of the Registrar submits enrollment records after each major term for participating schools to pick up the information in the National Student Clearinghouse Reverse Transfer portal.  If you are unsure whether your former institution(s) participate in the National Student Clearinghouse, please contact your former institution.
  2. Non-National Student Clearinghouse Institutions:  The Office of the Registrar will send a transcript to the two-year institution at no cost if requested directly by the institution.  Please contact your institution to have them request the transcript.

NOTE:  In order to receive a transcript at no cost for reverse transfer purposes, students must have at least 12 transfer units accepted from a two-year institution, and have earned at least one unit at The University of Arizona. 

By taking courses at The University of Arizona, you may have already earned enough credits, coupled with your two-year institution credits, to obtain an associate degree through reverse transfer. This is a credential that you have earned, and may provide you additional opportunities as you seek to complete your bachelor's degree.

Second Start

Yes. There must be a three-year absence from the university after that complete withdrawal term for the student to be eligible for Second Start.

Regular grades are A, B, C, D, and E. Classes with grades of S, P, F, W, O, and WC do not count toward the 12 completed units needed to qualify for Second Start since they have no GPA value.

Undergraduate students who have not completed an undergraduate degree at The University of Arizona must be returning to the university after an absence of at least three years. If accepted by the college and the University, students are also accepted into the Second Start Program.

Students must complete 12 or more regularly graded units of A, B, C, D, or E in the first 12 months after their return to UA, with a GPA of 2.500 or better.

If an Incomplete grade is received, the Office of Registrar will evaluate the worst-case scenario. An E grade will be assumed for the incomplete and the GPA will be calculated. If the resulting GPA is over 2.500, the student will have met the criteria for Second Start.

If the resulting GPA is less than 2.500, the record will be evaluated again after the final grade is posted.

Repeated courses, which are not earning credit, will count toward the 12 units needed because they are completed units.

All units completed will be used to calculate the GPA.

Ex: The student completed five classes (15 units) with grades of C, C, B, A, E in her first term back so she earned a GPA of 2.200. She does not qualify for Second Start. Without the grade of E, this student's GPA would have been 2.750.

Students have 12 months to meet the criteria for Second Start. The term of enactment is not moved forward; students do not get to restart the 12-month clock.

No. Second Start may be granted only once in a student's career.

No. General Petitions requesting a shorter absence for Second Start will not be reviewed.

Completed units are the total number of units the student finishes in the term. Earned units are the total number of units the students successfully completes in the term. Completed units are evaluated for the 12 units required.

Ex: If the student attempted four classes (12 units) and received grades of A, B, B, and E, then the student earned only 9 units, but the student completed 12 units. This record will be evaluated for the 2.500 GPA required.

Ex: If the student attempted four classes and received grades of A, C, B, and W, then the student earned 9 units. The student also completed only 9 units. This record will not be evaluated for the 2.500 GPA required until the end of the next term, if the student has completed 12 units by that time.

The record will be evaluated at the end of the student's first major term back. If the student completed 12 units that term, then the GPA will be evaluated for the minimum 2.500 required. If the student did not complete 12 units that term, then the record will be evaluated again after the next major term.

All units earned beginning with the first term back are included in the 30 units required to meet the residency requirement after Second Start is enacted.

Transcripts & Verifications

Yes, we now offer electronic delivery of official transcripts.

We only accept third party requests from institutions. Otherwise a student must place an online request and have the transcript sent directly to the third party.

Yes. Orders must be placed online and you may designate a third party to pick up your transcript. Picture ID is required.

Pick up services are currently not available due to Covid-19 Pandemic. We will update this site when our office reopens for walk in service.

When ordering transcripts for an application service, check the attachment option and include your ID number in lieu of attachment form. The option to include an attachment form is selective based on the application service chosen and the image may be uploaded directly to Credentials Solutions Self-Service Portal.

Transcripts ordered online are available for pick up within 24 hours at the Administration Building, Room 210, during normal business hours. You will be notified by Credentials Solutions via email or text once your order has been completed. Transcripts are also available for purchase on a walk-in basis.

Pick up orders are currently suspended due to Covid-19 Pandemic; office working remotely.

Yes. If you enter a physical street address for delivery, the system will offer express delivery as an option. We utilize Federal Express for all express shipping.

Yes, you can order directly from Credentials Solutions (TranscriptsPlus). You will be asked to provide other identifying information such as your date of birth and Social Security number.

For diploma, facsimile, and notarization services please contact Graduation Services at 520-621-6056 or 520-621-3597.

For students attending after 1988: If you have an active NetID and password, you may sign in to UAccess Student Center and print an unofficial transcript. For students attending prior to 1988: Unofficial transcripts are only available on a walk-in basis from the Office of Registration, Residency & Transcripts.

Please contact Graduation Services for additional information.

Contact our office at 520-621-3113 option 4, during office hours. We will verify your identity and provide you with the necessary information to reset your student account to access University of Arizona online services.

For courses in which you received continuing education units, please visit Continuing and Professional Education

Check UAccess Student Center to see if all grades/degrees have been posted prior to placing a transcript order.

To expedite and ensure accurate delivery, make sure recipient accepts electronic transcripts. Double check recipient's email address is correct to avoid paying again to send replacement transcripts.

All restrictive holds on a student's record must be cleared before a transcript is released. If a transcript request is submitted while a restrictive hold is on the record, you will be contacted by email to clear the hold before processing can continue.

An exception may be considered by a supervisor of The Office of the Registrar for those who have no access to online services or credit/debit cards where extenuating circumstances exist (for example, floods, hurricanes, persons in prison, natural disasters, etc). Please contact our office at 520-621-3113 for more information.

Computers are available for public use at most public libraries and some community organizations. We provide computers in the Registration, Residency & Transcripts office lobby.  An exception by a supervisor of the Office of the Registrar may be made under certain circumstances. Please contact our office at 520-621-3113 for more information.

Choose the attachment option when placing an order. Attachment must be scanned and uploaded directly to Self-Service Portal. Instructions are provided at Credentials Solutions Self-Service Portal.

All official transcripts provide the university seal and the Registrar's signature.

All official transcripts are mailed in a sealed envelope. To have the registrar signature placed across the seal, you will have to choose the attachment option when submitting your online order.  Write "Registrar signature across envelope seal" on a plain piece of paper and upload your request to Credentials Self-ServicePlus at the end of transaction. Transcripts bearing the Registrar signature across the envelope seal are mailed directly from The University of Arizona.

An official transcript is a student's academic record at the University of Arizona and is available only through the office of Registration, Residency & Transcripts.

Walk in customers will receive their transcript almost immediately. Transcripts stored on microfilm may take more time. Online orders are processed 1-3 business days after we receive a student's signature authorization form. However, during busy times, all online transcript processing may take up to 10 business days.

Due to Covid-19 Pandemic, transcript processing may be delayed up to 10 business days. No walk in service is available as our office is currently working remotely.

You may use your student ID number or matriculation number. In some cases, we will use alternative forms of information to verify a person's identity.

A student ID is available on your Student Center and on a transcript. If you have forgotten your student ID. You may contact the office of Registration, Residency & Transcripts at 520-621-3113.

You can send your transcript to whomever you authorize.

Transcripts may be picked up at the Office of Registration, Residency & Transcripts, Administration Building, Room 210. Photo identification is required.

Admissions and New Student Enrollment
The University of Arizona
PO Box 210040
Tucson, AZ 85721-0040

Phone: 520-621-3237

If you have trouble viewing your unofficial transcript, please make sure your browser isn't blocking pop-ups.

Yes. Credentials Solutions will notify you via email or text message with the status of your transcript order.

Yes. You will be notified via email if your transcript is being delayed and will be given the name of a contact person and email address for follow up.

Transfer Credit Appeals

No, once a Course Equivalency Request has been reviewed by the department faculty, it cannot be appealed.

No, if the course was taken as lower-division, it cannot receive upper-division credit.

Elective credit (ELCR 1TR)

If a transferred course has been rejected, and your Advisor would like to use it in your degree plan, please submit a Transfer Credit Appeal. If you transferred a course that you think is equivalent to a University of Arizona course required in your major, and it is currently receiving elective credit, please submit a Course Equivalency Request.

University General Petitions

In order for the Committee to agree to review any retroactive withdrawal request past the one-year deadline, the student will need to clearly explain and fully document why they could not comply with filing a petition within the one-year deadline. Not knowing there was a deadline or not being on campus is not a persuasive argument.

Contact the Title IX Office to begin the process at 520-621-7286; located at:

Old Main, Room 200
Tucson, AZ 85721-0021

There is no set length of time. Once the petition is received in the General Petitions Office, it will be reviewed to make sure that all the necessary documentation is attached (Is the petition form signed? Are all the required instructor statement forms included, did the Dean's Office sign the petition, etc.). If anything is missing the student will be contacted. Other departments or offices at the University may be contacted for additional information if the student mentions them but does not include any information for the Committee (e.g. If the student says in his/her statement, "My advisor told me not to drop the course during the semester", the advisor might be contacted to verify this or provide additional information.)

Once the petition seems complete, it is routed to each Committee member, individually, for his/her review and vote. The committee member can request additional information if they have questions. A petition needs 3 of 5 agreeing votes for there to be a final decision. Each reader takes a different amount of time depending, in part, on how many petitions they are reviewing at once, time of the semester, etc.

Medical retroactive withdrawal requests are first routed to Campus Health for review of the medical documentation. The petition is then forwarded to the Committee, without the medical documentation, for voting.

All medical documentation is uploaded online during the retroactive medical withdrawal process in Student Center.

Students should fill out a separate petition form for each semester. They do not need to send duplicate copies of documentation that applies to all the semesters. For instance, if the request is for retroactive withdrawals from two different semesters, the student should include a petition form for each semester, instructor statements for each of the courses they were enrolled in during those semesters, but only include one set of any documentation or personal statement that applies to both semesters.

For online medical petitions, all submissions require a personal statement and medical documentation. Instructors will be contacted by email for assistance in completing the online instructor statement. 

For a retroactive withdrawal petition, the Instructor Statement form is not a letter of support for the student's request. Part of the Committee's decision process involves needing to know if/when the student stopped attending class, what his/her grade was at that time, and if he/she took the final exam - facts that need to come from the course instructor. This information indicates for the Committee if the student was eligible to withdraw from the class at the time they stopped attending and if they completed all the work in the class. Incomplete information on the instructor form may be considered as missing documentation.

The Online Retroactive Medical Withdrawal for medical reasons (the student’s medical reasons, no one else’s) is available on UAccess Student Center.

Requests for retroactive withdrawals for Title IX based reasons of harassment or discrimination, may use the "Extenuating Circumstances - Title IX Based" form available directly from the Title IX Office:

Old Main, Room 200
Tucson, AZ, 85721-0021
Phone: 520-621-7286

Use the "General Petition" form for all other requests to waive University Academic Policy. Available in paper form of PDF.

While many student petitions have some merit, University policy, precedent, or a lack of convincing evidence might justify denying the request. The following are some of the factors that influence Committee decisions:

  1. The student is ultimately responsible for knowing and following University policies and procedures.
  2. The student has the responsibility to meet deadlines and to check for errors in course registration in a timely fashion. Demonstrating that this responsibility has been satisfied, or alternatively, that the petitioner could not possibly satisfy the responsibility, weighs heavily with the committee.
  3. The committee rarely intervenes in situations where individual Colleges can act to remedy a situation.
  4. The committee will act on the basis of the materials presented. In some cases, the committee cannot grant the request because of missing materials.

If your petition is denied, you may make an appointment to meet with the co-chair of the Committee for additional explanation or clarification of the petition decision. After meeting with the co-chair, petitions may be resubmitted for reconsideration but this is not likely to result in a changed verdict unless the student has something new to add or new documentation that the committee has not seen and should take into account. New information must be submitted in order for a petition to be reconsidered. Meeting with the co-chair does not mean the decision will be overturned.

Verification of Lawful Presence

If you (a) do not receive in-state tuition status, and (b) do not receive financial aid funded by state monies (Arizona), then you are NOT affected by Verify Lawful Presence. If you (a) receive in-state tuition status, or (b) receive financial aid that is supported by state monies (Arizona), then you are affected by Verify Lawful Presence.

No. Verify Lawful Presence does not restrict who may apply and be admitted to the UA.

No. Verify Lawful Presence does not restrict eligibility for scholarships funded by non-state sources (including private-donor scholarships administered by the UA), as long as the student meets all other scholarship criteria (i.e., major, college, etc.).

No. Verify Lawful Presence requires reporting aggregate data, not individual student information. Personally identifiable student information is subject to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

Once proof of residency status is determined; it will be updated only when receipt of new information is submitted by the student and reviewed by the appropriate UA Office. For example, when a visa expires it must be renewed if state supported aid is to be provided.

With rare exceptions, students in the following groups will NOT have to provide further documentation of lawful presence.

  1. Students who have completed a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) will have already verified lawful presence in the U.S. and will not need to provide further information.
  2. Students who have unexpired student visas that have been verified by the Office of International Students.
  3. Student workers who have provided I-9 verification after 1986 to the University Office of Human Resources.
  4. Students who seek neither financial aid nor resident tuition status.

If you do not fall into any of the groups above, and you wish to apply for in-state tuition or financial aid supported by state monies, then you must provide documentation of

  1. U.S. citizenship; or
  2. Legal resident of the U.S.; or
  3. Lawful immigration status.
  • If you have submitted a FAFSA to the Financial Aid Office, your Prop 300 verification will be automatically entered into our system and you do not need to do anything else. The FAFSA contains information that certifies lawful presence in the US. 
  • To check and see if your lawful verification has already been provided, login to UAccess Student . Choose the “Academic” tab, then “Profile”. If your documentation is already on file, you will see the word “verified” for the Lawful Presence entry. 

International students should contact an International Student Advisor at the Office of International Student Programs and Services at 915 N Tyndall Ave. They will assist you in verifying your status and updating your University of Arizona student record. If you have questions, call 520-621-4627

Outreach College/Distance Learning Students: Outreach College/Distance Learning students should contact the UA Outreach College at University Services Building Room 322, 888 N Euclid. They will assist you in verifying your status and updating your University of Arizona record. If you have questions, call 520-626-3327

Students Transferring from Pima Community College (PCC): Starting in June, 2008 if you have already supplied verification of lawful presence while enrolled at Pima Community College, you will not need to re-verify when you enroll at the University of Arizona. The University will obtain verification from PCC. 

All students: If you fail to provide documentation, you will be required to pay non-resident tuition and cannot receive scholarships or other financial aid from state monies. Failure to provide documentation in a timely fashion may result in billing confusion and delay disbursement of financial aid. 

Students enrolling remotely on Main Campus, living outside of the United States and receiving a University scholarship or fellowship must verify their lawful presence in their current country of residence by submitting an Attestation of International Lawful Presence. If you will be entering the U.S. in F-1 or J-1 status for Spring 2021, you do not need to take action. After entering the U.S. and completing Document Review, International Student Services will verify your lawful presence.

Verify Lawful Presence refers to a referendum approved by Arizona voters in November 2006. The referencum provides that university students who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents, or who do not have lawful immigration status, are not eligible for in-state tuition status or financial aid that is funded or subsidized by state monies.

Students must upload Lawful Presence documents in Student Self Service: 

  • Log in to your UAccess Student Center
  • Choose the Personal tab
  • Choose Personal Summary option
  • Choose Lawful Presence under Other Actions
  • Upload documents and click Submit

Students may contact for assistance.

Students may contact for assistance.