Per the University of Arizona General Catalog:

"The grade of I may be awarded only at the end of a term, when all but a minor portion of the course work has been satisfactorily completed. The grade of I is not to be awarded in place of a failing grade or when the student is expected to repeat the course; in such a case, a grade other than I must be assigned.  Students should make arrangements with the instructor to receive an incomplete grade before the end of the term."

Instructors are encouraged to use the Report of Incomplete Grade form  as a contract with the student as to what course work must be completed by the student for the I grade to be removed and replaced with a grade. On the form, the instructor states:  (1) which assignments or exams should be completed and when; (2) how this work will be graded; and (3) how the student's course grade will be calculated. Both the instructor and student sign this agreement and both should retain copies.

After the course work is completed, the instructor should assign the appropriate grade on the UAccess grade roster.

Effective Fall Semester 1977, if the incomplete grade is not removed by the instructor within one year the I grade will convert to a failing grade.

  • For undergraduate courses, the one-year limit may be extended for one additional year if approved  by the instructor and student's college dean. See the Incomplete Grade policy in the General Catalog for complete details.  Please use the Petition for Extension of Coursework for an Incomplete Course form to request an extension of an incomplete grade.
  • Graduate Students should use the Petition in GradPath to initiate a request for an extension of their incomplete course.
  • A request for an extension beyond 2 academic years of the original course enrollment requires approval by the University General Petition Committee (petitions require instructor and dean's signatures).
  • For courses taken for graduate credit, such approval may be granted only by the Graduate College.

For any questions, please contact us at