Residency Classification FAQs

No–any person requesting reclassification as a resident for tuition purposes must prove they meet the residency requirement or that they meet one of the approved exceptions.

No–there is no set amount of time after which a student attending as a non-resident will automatically be changed to a resident. A student wanting to be reclassified must initiate the process by submitting a Petition to Change Residency by the appropriate deadline.

No–assistantships may receive a non-resident tuition waiver from their department but this waiver does not reclassify the student as a resident for tuition purposes.

Once a student is classified as a resident for tuition purposes, their status will not change through the completion of one degree program, provided that the student remains continuously enrolled (meaning, enrolled each fall and spring semester). If you apply for a second degree program (i.e., graduate or professional school), your residency will be reviewed and you will have to meet the residency criteria on your own.

Being in Arizona for 1 year does not necessarily make you a resident for tuition purposes. You will need to meet all of the requirements: one year showing physical presence, intent beyond the circumstance of being a student, and evidence of one year of financial independence, unless you meet one of the exceptions.

Students who are already attending UA as a non-resident, would need to submit a Petition to Change Residency (during the petition period) for a change of residency classification for tuition.

Newly admitted students who feel they have been misclassified, would complete a Domicile Affidavit and submit to the Residency Classification Office for further review of their residency classification.

No–owning property in Arizona doesn't automatically qualify you as a resident for tuition purposes. If you are trying to establish residency in Arizona, paying taxes in Arizona is an indicator of your intent to become an Arizona resident. However, you must meet all the residency criteria to be eligible for residency for tuition purposes.

Yes. The information provided here only applies to residency for tuition and fee purposes at the University of Arizona. Different rules may apply to determine residency in your home state or for other schools. It is possible to be a person without a state residence for tuition and fee purposes.

No–ABOR policy states that the home of an unemancipated minor is that of the parent(s). However, Arizona high school graduates who have spent at least 3 of their high school years in Arizona, may qualify for a reduced tuition rate. 

Click Here for more information.

Objective evidence of financial independence means a student's ability to meet his or her own expenses. Indicators of financial independence include: 1) Place of employment and proof of earnings 2) Other sources of support 3) Proof of filing an Arizona state income tax return 4) Residence claimed on federal income tax returns of applicant and/or parents 5) Veteran status 6) Whether claimed as a dependent for income tax purposes by a parent or any other individual for one year immediately preceding the request for residency classification. A student will generally be considered financially independent if he/she:

  • is a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces - OR -
  • was not claimed as an income tax deduction by his/her parents or any other individual for one year immediately preceding the request for residency classification, and has demonstrated objective evidence of self-support for one year. The year used to demonstrate self-support is the year immediately preceding the request for residency classification.

Students who believe they were incorrectly classified as a non-resident by a Residency Classification Office may request a review from the Residency Review Committee. Students may request a review by submitting the Residency Review Form by the appropriate deadline. 

You can view the Arizona Board of Regents policies by going to the ABOR website.

Effective July 1, 2024 and forward

  1. A member of the armed forces who is on active duty for a period of more than 30 days. 

  1. A member of the Foreign Service is a person who is on active duty for a period of more than 30 days. For more information, please visit 
  1. An officer or employee of an element of the intelligence community who serves in a position of employment in such element for a period of more than 30 days. 

The term "intelligence community" includes the following: 

  • The Office of the Director of National Intelligence
  • The Central Intelligence Agency
  • The National Security Agency
  • The Defense Intelligence Agency
  • The National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency 
  • The National Reconnaissance Office
  • Other offices within the Department of Defense for the collection of specialized national intelligence through reconnaissance programs 
  • The intelligence elements of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Space Force, Coast Guard, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Drug Enforcement Administration, and Department of Energy
  • The Bureau of Intelligence and Research of the Department of State
  • The Office of Intelligence and Analysis of the Department of the Treasury 
  • The Office of Intelligence and Analysis of the Department of Homeland Security
  • Such other elements of any department or agency as may be designated by the President, or designated jointly by the Director of National Intelligence and the head of the department or agency concerned, as an element of the intelligence community

The rules and regulations regarding residency for tuition purposes are established by the Arizona Board of Regents.

Residency Classification Office 
Administration Building, Room 210