Managing Your Benefits

A step-by-step guide for applying to The University of Arizona, obtaining your GI Bill ®, and certifying your enrollment. This guide contains information about some of our specific policies and processes for our school. 

A link to the Education Benefits page on the GI Bill ® website at the US Department of Veterans Affairs is available at Veterans Administration Education Benefits.

Go to If you have questions about this process, please contact the following staff members who work specifically with military-connected students:

For additional application information, including admission contacts for specific programs, see or contact

You can check the status of your application by logging into How to Apply.

If you are the service member using your own GI Bill ®, skip to Step 3. If the student is a spouse or dependent of an active-duty service member and is using the Post 9/11 GI Bill ®, the service member must transfer their benefit to the student through the Department of Defense by completing a Transfer of Entitlement request. Once the Transfer of Entitlement is approved after 4-6 weeks, the VA will mail a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to the student, which will enable the student to apply to use their GI-Bill ® benefit.

Complete the Online Application located at

  • Active-Duty Service Members and Veterans: Use Form 22-1990 for all benefit chapters
  • Transfer of Benefits to Dependents and Spouses: Use Form 22-1990E to apply for Post 9/11 GI Bill Transfer of Entitlement
  • Dependents and Spouses: Use Form 22-5490 for Chapter 35 Survivors and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program OR The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (dependents or surviving spouse of service members who died in the line of duty while on active duty after September 10, 2001)

Complete the Request for Change of Program or Place of Training electronically with the VA at

If you're a student using Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) benefits, your counselor will send an approved Purchase Order to our office, UA Bookstore, UA Parking, and the UA Bursar Office for direct billing to the VA. 

Register with VA eBenefits at and make a PREMIUM account. This is where you will go to check your deposits from the VA, view the history of your certification status, see how many months of benefit are remaining, set up direct deposit, or update your address.

Check your Residency Status (for tuition purposes). This can be viewed in UAccess Student Center under demographic data. If your residency status is incorrect of you have any questions, please contact the Military-Connected Benefits & Certifications Office at 520-621-9501.  

The University of Arizona offers in-state residency for tuition purposes under some military exceptions.

To prevent delays in receiving your education benefits, you must submit your Veteran Academic Certification Request PRIOR to the beginning of EACH semester or summer session in which you will use your benefits. Submit your request through UAccess Student Center ( by logging into Student Center, going to the "Personal" menu, and selecting Veteran Benefit Certification.

View instructions on this process

Military-Connected Benefits & Certifications  
Student Union Memorial Center, Rm 404 | 1303 E. University Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85721
Phone: 520-621-9501  |  Email: