Verify Lawful Presence FAQs

If you (a) do not receive in-state tuition status, and (b) do not receive financial aid funded by state monies (Arizona), then you are NOT affected by Verify Lawful Presence. If you (a) receive in-state tuition status, or (b) receive financial aid that is supported by state monies (Arizona), then you are affected by Verify Lawful Presence.

No. Verify Lawful Presence does not restrict who may apply and be admitted to the UA.

No. Verify Lawful Presence does not restrict eligibility for scholarships funded by non-state sources (including private-donor scholarships administered by the UA), as long as the student meets all other scholarship criteria (i.e., major, college, etc.).

No. Verify Lawful Presence requires reporting aggregate data, not individual student information. Personally identifiable student information is subject to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

Once proof of residency status is determined; it will be updated only when receipt of new information is submitted by the student and reviewed by the appropriate UA Office. For example, when a visa expires it must be renewed if state supported aid is to be provided.

With rare exceptions, students in the following groups will NOT have to provide further documentation of lawful presence.

  1. Students who have completed a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) will have already verified lawful presence in the U.S. and will not need to provide further information.
  2. Students who have unexpired student visas that have been verified by the Office of International Students.
  3. Student workers who have provided I-9 verification after 1986 to the University Office of Human Resources.
  4. Students who seek neither financial aid nor resident tuition status.

If you do not fall into any of the groups above, and you wish to apply for in-state tuition or financial aid supported by state monies, then you must provide documentation of

  1. U.S. citizenship; or
  2. Legal resident of the U.S.; or
  3. Lawful immigration status.
  • If you have submitted a FAFSA to the Financial Aid Office, your Prop 300 verification will be automatically entered into our system and you do not need to do anything else. The FAFSA contains information that certifies lawful presence in the US. 
  • To check and see if your lawful verification has already been provided, login to UAccess Student . Choose the “Academic” tab, then “Profile”. If your documentation is already on file, you will see the word “verified” for the Lawful Presence entry. 

International students should contact an International Student Advisor at the Office of International Student Programs and Services at 915 N Tyndall Ave. They will assist you in verifying your status and updating your University of Arizona student record. If you have questions, call 520-621-4627

Outreach College/Distance Learning Students: Outreach College/Distance Learning students should contact the UA Outreach College at University Services Building Room 322, 888 N Euclid. They will assist you in verifying your status and updating your University of Arizona record. If you have questions, call 520-626-3327

Students Transferring from Pima Community College (PCC): Starting in June, 2008 if you have already supplied verification of lawful presence while enrolled at Pima Community College, you will not need to re-verify when you enroll at the University of Arizona. The University will obtain verification from PCC. 

All students: If you fail to provide documentation, you will be required to pay non-resident tuition and cannot receive scholarships or other financial aid from state monies. Failure to provide documentation in a timely fashion may result in billing confusion and delay disbursement of financial aid. 

Students enrolling remotely on Main Campus, living outside of the United States and receiving a University scholarship or fellowship must verify their lawful presence in their current country of residence by submitting an Attestation of International Lawful Presence. If you will be entering the U.S. in F-1 or J-1 status for Spring 2021, you do not need to take action. After entering the U.S. and completing Document Review, International Student Services will verify your lawful presence.

Verify Lawful Presence refers to a referendum approved by Arizona voters in November 2006. The referencum provides that university students who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents, or who do not have lawful immigration status, are not eligible for in-state tuition status or financial aid that is funded or subsidized by state monies.

Students must upload Lawful Presence documents in Student Self Service: 

  • Log in to your UAccess Student Center
  • Choose the Personal tab
  • Choose Personal Summary option
  • Choose Lawful Presence under Other Actions
  • Upload documents and click Submit

Review the steps above through the Verification of Lawful Presence Resource Guide

Students may contact for assistance.

Students may contact for assistance.