A. What is a University General Petition?
The petition process closes for the summer months. The last day for students and colleges to submit petitions to the Office of Registration and Transcripts is May 3, 2018.
The University General Petitions process will be available for the 2018-2019 academic year beginning August 20, 2018.
There is a ONE YEAR DEADLINE for Retroactive Withdrawal Requests.
Undergraduate students may petition the University General Petitions Committee for relief if they believe they deserve redress or exception to university rules, regulations, or policies regarding academic affairs. Before deciding to file a General Petition, the petition request should be discussed with the student's academic advisor.
The University of Arizona General Catalog is the source document for university-wide academic policies that might be addressed in the petition process. The policy pertaining to retroactive withdrawals can be found in the General Catalog under Withdrawal from the University.
There are three types of General Petitions:
1) General Petition for Extenuating Circumstances - Medical Withdrawal,
2) General Petition for Extenuating Circumstances - Equity Based (Harassment, Discrimination),
3) General Petition (all other requests.)
Graduate students should consult with the Graduate College for information on submitting a petition. Additional information pertaining to graduate petitions can be found in the Graduate Catalog. If the course to be petitioned is an undergraduate course, the student does need to file an undergraduate General Petition
What is not subject to a General Petition?
- Courses for which you wish to change from one grade type to another (e.g. P/F to grade type A, B, C, D, E or vice versa) will not be considered. See the Dean of the college in which you are majoring if you want a P/F course to satisfy a requirement.
- Cancelled courses for which you were given a grade do not need to be considered. This is an administrative error. See the Office of Registration and Transcripts to have it corrected.
- Requests to change your record if you have graduated cannot be considered. The petition process is only available before the student's degree is awarded.
- Tuition refunds or other financial matters will not be considered. See the Bursar's Office for fall and spring semester requests; summer and winter session requests, contact the Office of Summer & Winter Sessions.
- Grade appeals: If you are seeking a higher grade in a course than was awarded, and cannot resolve the matter with your instructor, you need to follow the Grade Appeal process. See Policies in the Academic catalog.
- If you want to extend the time needed to complete an "I" for a course and the incomplete has not expired, obtain a Petition for Extension of Course Work from your college Dean’s office or the Office of Registration & Transcripts.
- Graduate students should consult the Graduate College for information on submitting Graduate Petitions. If the course to be petitioned is an undergraduate course, the student does need to file an undergraduate General Petition.
- College Petition: Students may also formally request redress or exception to college policies of requirements. (i.e. change in program, substitution of course work, transfer credit, etc.). This is referred to as a college petition. Students should consult with their college Dean's office for information on submitting a college petition.