Managing Your GI Bill Education Benefit at UA
Step 1: Apply for Admission: Go to http://www.arizona.edu/how-apply-ua. If you have questions about this process the following staff members work specifically with military-connected students:
- Arizona Main Campus Undergraduate Admissions: Linda Harrison, 520-621-8328 email@example.com
- Arizona Online Campus (undergraduate): Dentin Garrett, 520.621.0898 option 3, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Arizona College of Applied Science & Technology Campus: Michelle Menninger, 520.626.2422, email@example.com
- ALL Arizona Graduate Programs (Main and Online Campus): Kevin Alexander, 520-626-2411, firstname.lastname@example.org
You can follow your admissions process by logging into How to Apply (www.arizona.edu/how-apply-ua )
Step 2: Skip to Step 3 if you are the service member using your own GI Bill. If the student is a spouse or dependent of an active-duty service member and using the Post 9/11 GI Bill, the service member must transfer their benefit to the student through the Department of Defense. Complete the Transfer of Entitlement request here: https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/milconnect/ . Once the Transfer of Entitlement is approved the student must then apply to use their GI Bill benefit. This takes approximately 4 to 6 weeks and the VA will mail you a Certificate of Eligibility (COE).
Step 3a: If you've never used the GI Bill before, apply for your GI Bill ®: Complete the Online Application located at www.vets.gov .
- Active-Duty Service Members and Veterans: Use Form 22-1990 for all benefit chapters
- Transfer of Benefits to Dependents and Spouses: Use Form 22-1990E to apply for Post 9/11 GI Bill Transfer of Entitlement
- Dependents and Spouses: Use Form 22-5490 for Chapter 35 Survivors and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program OR The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (dependents or surviving spouse of service members who died in the line of duty while on active duty after September 10, 2001)
Step 3b: If you've already used the GI Bill at another school then you will have to fill out the proper transfer form to get the VA to switch your benefit to our school. Complete the Request for Change of Program or Place of Training electronically with the VA at www.vets.gov.
- Veteran, Service Member or CH33 Transfer of Entitlement Dependent/Spouse (form 22-1995): http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-22-1995-ARE.pdf
- The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship or Chapter 35 Survivors and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (form 22-5495): http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-22-5495-ARE.pdf
If you're a student using Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) benefits, your counselor will send an approved Purchase Order to our office, UA Bookstore, UA Parking AND the UA Bursar Office for direct billing to the VA.
Step 4: Register with VA eBenefits @ https://www.ebenefits.va.gov and make a PREMIUM account. This is where you will go to check your deposits from the VA along with the history of your certification status and months of benefit remaining, setup direct deposit or update your address.
Step 5: Check your Residency Status (for tuition purposes) and Verification of Lawful Presence (VLP: Prop 300): This can be viewed in UAccess Student Center under demographic data. Please contact the Military-Connected Benefits and Certifications Office 520-621-9501 immediately if your residency status is incorrect or if you have any questions.
The University of Arizona offers In-State residency for tuition purposes under some military exceptions (https://registrar.arizona.edu/online-forms-available-from-office-of-the-registrar#273).
Step 6: Enroll in classes and submit your certification request: To prevent delays in receiving your education benefits, you must submit your veteran academic certification request PRIOR to the beginning of EACH semester or summer session in which you will use your benefits. Submit your request through UAccess Student Center (https://uaccess.arizona.edu) log into Student Center, go to "Other Financials" drop down menu and select Veteran Certification. Instructions on this process can be found here http://registrar.arizona.edu/military-benefits/online-veteran-academic-certification-guide .
Office Location and Contact Information
|Student Union Memorial Center, Room 404|
|Phone: (520) 621-9501|
|Fax: (520) 621-3665|