Additional Information

­­When applying for VA education benefits, please allow eight to ten weeks for processing. The amount of benefits you will receive is determined by the Department of Veterans Affairs and is based on the number of credit hours for which you are enrolled. Please submit all completed applications and supporting documents to the Veterans Services Office.


U of A Veteran In-Processing Guide

This informational handout serves as a checklist for getting started as a student at University of Arizona. It also lists available resources for student veterans at UA.


New Students

If you have never used VA education benefits at any institution of higher education, you must complete the appropriate Veterans Affairs application form. If the student is a spouse or dependent of an active duty service member or military veteran then he/she must transfer his/her benefits to the student through the Department of Defense (DOD). Once the Transfer of Entitlement (TOE) is approved by DOD the student must then apply to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to use the benefit. You can submit an electronic application directly to the VA using the online VONAPP application. Make sure you use the appropriate form (as listed below) to apply or your benefits could be delayed.


Once your application has been submitted in about 30-45 days you will receive a letter in the mail from the VA. This is your Certificate of Eligibility (COE). Once you have enrolled in classes at UA you can bring the COE to our office to begin using your benefits.


In addition to your COE, you may be required to provide our office with the following documents:

  • DD-214 (for veterans coming off active duty using Chapter 30, 33, or 1607 only)
  • DD-2384 (Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) Chapter 1606 only) 

Applying for VA Benefits

Use form 22-1990

Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bil®l-Active Duty)

Chapter 1606 (Montgomery GI Bill®-Selected Reserve)

Chapter 1607 (Reserve Educational Assistance Program)

Chapter 32 (Veterans Educational Assistance Program)

Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill®


Use form 22-1990E

Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill®– Dependents


Use form 22-5490

Chapter 35 (Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program)


Transfer Students

If you collected GI Bil®l benefits at another institution, you must complete one of the following forms to change the University of Arizona to your parent institution:

  • Form 22-1995, if you are receiving benefits through Chapters 30, 32, 33, 1606 or 1607
  • Form 22-5495, if you are receiving benefits through Chapter 35 (or 33 if you are a dependent)  

Current Students

To prevent delays in receiving your education benefits, you must certify your enrollment PRIOR to the beginning of EACH semester or summer session that you want to use your benefits. 


In addition, if you are receiving education benefits under Chapter 30 or Chapters 1606 or 1607 you must verify your continuing enrollment monthly. This can be done on the VA W.A.V.E. website or you can call 1 (877) 823-2378. Please note that monthly verification cannot be completed any earlier than the last day of each month.


Priority Registration

Priority registration is given to students, using the GI Bill®, the semester AFTER they begin using their benefits. For example, a new/transfer student begins taking classes and using their GI Bil®l benefits at the University of Arizona in Fall 2012 semester. They would then be eligible for priority registration for the Spring 2013 semester and continuing until the student is no longer using their benefits.


Concurrent Enrollment

If you choose to attend another institution of higher learning while enrolled at The University of Arizona, you may be able to combine your enrollment hours to qualify for full time benefits. The second institution must be approved by the VA for education benefits and the course or courses you are taking must be required by your degree program. Please submit the Concurrent Enrollment 315 form to the Veteran Services Office.


Restricted Status

Students who have accumulated 60 credit hours are placed on restricted status, meaning that only courses required by their degree program can be certified for payment. You are responsible for following your degree program; please pay careful attention to your degree requirements.



If you are having trouble with a course and need a tutor, you may qualify for tutorial assistance. Tutorial assistance is available if you are receiving educational benefits at a half-time or greater rate and have a deficiency in a subject that makes tutoring necessary. You can be reimbursed up to $100 month, up to a maximum allowance of $1200.

If you would like to request tutorial assistance, please complete Form 22-1990t and bring it to the Veteran Services office.


Study Abroad


If you are considering participating in a study abroad program make sure you fully understand what the VA will and will not pay for. There are additional steps you must take in order to receive educational benefits from the VA for study abroad courses. Download and print this checklist for more information.


For More Information

Please call the Veterans Services Office at (520) 621-9501 Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Mountain Standard Time, or e-mail


"GI Bill®” is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).  More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at”